- Music Department
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
B.A. in Music
Areas of Emphasis
Students graduating with a B.A. in Music from Cal State East Bay will be able to:
- Aurally identify common rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic patterns; demonstrate pitch and rhythmic accuracy through singing and rhythm vocalization.
- Demonstrate stylistically appropriate sound quality, technical skills, and expression within their primary performance and/or creative area.
- Apply critical and creative thinking and analytical reasoning to address complex challenges in the theory, history, and performance of music of many cultures.
- Create, perform, and respond to musical works and ideas, and relate them to societal, cultural and historical contexts.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others in classroom and performance settings.
- Demonstrate an ability to integrate musical ideas, methods, theories, and practices, and communicate them to others clearly and persuasively.
A B.A. in Music degree requires a total of 120 units:
- The major requirements consists of 54 units (see below).
- General Education (GE) & Graduation Requirements (GR) consists of 57 units. For more information on the GE/GR requirements, see the General Education section of the University Catalog.
- Free Electives may consist of 9 units (actual number of free elective units may depend on GE/GR units).
Note: It may be possible to double-count units within the graduation requirements or that a course may satisfy both a graduation requirement and a major requirement. Students should contact their program and AACE advisors for information.
For course descriptions and more detailed information please visit the Music Department B.A. University Catalog page.
* Please note, the updated requirements listed below (for students starting in the Fall 2021) will differ slightly from the current published catalog.
Lower Division Required Courses [15 Units]
- MUS 111 - Music Theory I Units: 2
- MUS 112 - Music Theory II Units: 2
- MUS 115 - Aural Skills I Units: 1
- MUS 116 - Aural Skills II Units: 1
- MUS 118 - Keyboard Musicianship I Units: 1
- MUS 119 - Keyboard Musicianship II Units: 1
- MUS 202 - Writing About Music Units: 3 G.E./G.R. Area: Writing II
- MUS 211 - Music Theory III Units: 2
- MUS 215 - Aural Skills III Units: 1
- MUS 218 - Keyboard Musicianship III Units: 1
Upper Division Required Courses [21 Units]
- MUS 381 - Essentials of Music Technology OR MUS 335 - Technology for Music Educators Units: 3
- MUS 304 - World Music & Culture Units: 3 ; G.E./G.R. Area: C4
- MUS 312 - Form and Analysis Units: 3
- MUS 321 - Western Music History I Units: 3
- MUS 324 - History of American Music Units: 3
- MUS 322 - Western Music History II Units: 3
- MUS 410 - 20th and 21st C Styles and Techniques Units: 3
Applied Music and Ensembles [8 Units]
- Take 4 units of Applied Music Study (MUS 261 - 269). Placement in Applied Study courses, except for Group Applied Study, is determined by audition. Students must complete 4 units of Applied Music Study (MUS 261 - 269 or MUS 461 - 469) in residence at CSUEB.
- Take 4 units of Major Performing Ensembles (MUS 351-359). Placement in Major Performing Ensembles courses is determined by audition.
Music Electives [10 Units]
These 10 units of Music Electives differ from the Free Electives (9 units) which are also part of the B.A. in Music degree requirements. Music Majors can use their Free Elective units for music courses if they so wish.