Academic Resources

Getting Academic Credit

Courses completed through CSUEB study abroad or National Student Exchange programs will be applied to your CSUEB transcript (with grades) as resident credit.  Prior to departure, students will work with academic advisors to complete the Request for Study Abroad/NSE Course Approval Form(s) to determine whether to use those courses toward major, minor, or general education requirements at CSUEB.  (Courses not approved toward major, minor or GE requirements will count as elective units.)

Courses taken on exchange are substituted for East Bay courses, as they may not be considered an exact equivalent of a CSUEB course.  These courses will appear on the CSUEB transcript using a CSUEB department prefix and one of the following course numbers: 910 (lower division), 930 (upper division) or 950 (graduate level).  The host university’s course title is listed as a notation on the transcript, and the transcript will also make mention of the host university.  The Request for Course Approval Forms are then used to manually update the Degree Audit Report in MYCSUEB.  

Getting Courses Authorized From Abroad

Making changes to your schedule while on exchange can be frustrating and very challenging. Every effort should be made to get as many courses authorized as possible BEFORE YOU GO, enabling you to easily make changes to your schedule while abroad.

If you are forced to make unexpected changes to your schedule while abroad, you should reach out to your academic advisor(s) via e-mail to discuss the possibility of course approval.

Keep in mind that academic advisors are extremely busy the first few weeks of school and are not always able to quickly respond to your emails. You will need to be as patient as possible, and make sure to keep your email short, sweet, to the point, and at all times respectful.

Working with your advisor from abroad:

  • Compose an email to your major/minor adviser or General Education office:
  • Explain what program you are on, where you are and who you are.  Be sure to include your student ID number.
  • Include a course description of the course you are planning to take and as much information on the course as possible (a syllabus is best)
  • Ask your major/minor adviser to respond to your email with the following information: "I approve the course _______taken while studying abroad, to be used at CSU East Bay in the place of ______" 
  • Once you receive a response for your advisor or the GE Director, please forward that to so our office can add that information to your study abroad file.