Policies and Forms

Individuals traveling on University business must familiarize themselves with and adhere to CSUEB
Travel Policy. Travelers must obtain authorization to travel. Travelers should make certain that the
business related expenses they incur are ordinary, reasonable, not extravagant, and necessary to the
purpose of the trip.

Policy Highlights

Governor Newsom signed SB 447, on September 13, Which repeals AB 1887- the travel Ban.

Effective immediately, state funds may be used for travel to all states. If the travel occurred prior to the repeal, non-state funds must be used for reimbursement. However, if the travel occurred September 14 or later, state funds may be used.

Please contact direct travel questions or concerns to Lana Lewis at lana.lewis@csueastbay.edu.

September 18, 2023 

  • Domestic and International Travelers must receive authorization to travel. Financial Services provides a Travel Authorization form for department use. 
  • Please familiarize yourself with the International Travel Policy and visit the Risk Management website for more information.

As a result of State Assembly Bill 1887, the State of California prohibits travel to certain states and is restricted from requiring employees to travel to those states. CSU travelers seeking authorization and reimbursement to travel to a state listed below should follow current authorization protocol and provide request to the division vice president.

  • Alabama
  • Arizona (effective September 28, 2022)
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho 
  • Indiana (effective July 1, 2022)
  • Iowa 
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana (effective August 1, 2022)
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah (effective July 1, 2022)
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

The travel restrictions are as follows:

  • CSU is restricted from requiring employees to travel to those states.
  • The CSU is prohibited from approving state funded or state sponsored travel to those states.

Exceptions to the travel prohibitions and the complete list of restricted states will be maintained on the CA State Attorney General's website. Unless one of the exceptions listed is met and documented on the expense claim, the University will not pay for any expenses when traveling to a restricted state.

Specific information about the travel ban, including exceptions and FAQ’s, can be found at the California State Attorney General’s website at State of California Department of Justice AB1887.

CSU Travel Restrictions Memo

AB 1887

Frequently Asked Questions on AB 1887 - CSU

Frequently Asked Questions on AB 1887 - US Attorney General

Assembly Bill 1887 State Discrimination on Travel

Also, as part of the revised travel policy, all relocation expenses are approved by the campus president.

  • Incidentals up to $7.00 per 24 hours (i.e. tips for room service, housekeeping, etc.)
  • Receipts are required for expenses of $75.00 or more.

Domestic Travel

  • Allowed for traveling on business 25 miles or more from campus or home, whichever is the shorter distance (one way).
  • Maximum rate per night is $275 before taxes and fees.

Alaska, Hawaii, and US Possessions

  • Maximum rate per night is $275 before taxes and fees.

International Travel

  • Lodging reimbursements based on actual expenses incurred; receipt required.

2024 Standard Mileage Rates for Business and Relocation

Effective January 1, 2024, the standard mileage rates for the use of a personal vehicle is:

  • .67 cents per mile for business driven, an increase from .655 cents per mile.
  • Relocation mileage will be reimbursed at the rate of .21 cents per mile.

If an employee elects to drive vs flying, they may be reimbursed for the lesser amount “Airfare in lieu of mileage”.  The employee needs to obtain a price quote from the airlines, minimum 21 day advance quote and attach it to their claim.  If someone within the department is also traveling to the business conference by airlines, you may also use their ticket as a price comparison.

Rental Cars

  • Airfare and rental cars may be booked via Certify's Travel module.
    • Contracted Rental Car Providers: Enterprise and National
    • Renting vehicles from non-contracted vendors is prohibited, unless vehicles are unavailable from the contracted vendor. 
    • Insurance is not to be reimbursed.
    • Gasoline is reimbursable.


  • The name on your travel account must match the name on your ID or passport.
    • If your full legal name is not displaying in the Travel  Booking module, you may edit your name in the "My Profile" section of the Travel Booking module. Please see the FAQs for instructions on how to do this.

Travel Less than 12 Hours

  • Actual meal expenses up to $55.00 per day reimbursable, subject to the following:
    • Breakfast: reimbursable and reportable as income.
    • Lunch: not reimbursable.
    • Dinner: reimbursable and reportable as income.

Overnight Travel

  • Actual meal expenses up to $55.00 reimbursable.

International Travel

  • Meal reimbursement based on Federal Per Diem for specific location; no receipt required.

Alaska, Hawaii, and US Possessions

  • Federal Per Diem by location.

Hospitality Reimbursement

  • Include: List of attendees, roles of participants (Employee, CSUEB student, guest) and descriptions of the business need or descriptions of the use of purchases.
    • These can be entered in the Certify system or a list may be uploaded.
    • See the Hospitality Policy for more information.

Please refer to the following documents for full information:

For any travel/reimbursement policy questions, please contact the Accounts Payable Department.