Pre-Nursing at CSUEB

Pre-Nursing is a designation of career interest (not an official major) at CSUEB.

Students interested in applying to the Nursing major must first be admitted to the University. Once admitted you are designated as a Pre-Nursing student.

At CSUEB the Pre-Nursing designation is not a guaranteed admission to any of the CSUEB nursing programs (Pre-Licensure or RN-BSN).

If you are admitted to CSUEB as a Pre-Nursing student, you will automatically be changed to a Nursing major IF you get admitted to one of the nursing programs at CSUEB, through a separate application process.

First Year College Freshmen

Some Pre-Nursing students enter CSUEB as first-year college freshmen. These students follow a curriculum that prepares them to apply to the Pre-Licensure nursing program as early as their second year of college. Curriculum includes nursing prerequisites and lower division GE classes. This curriculum is usually available on both the Hayward and Concord campuses.

For more information about the Concord Pre-Nursing program, please click here.

Transfer Students

If transferring to CSUEB from a different institution you must meet the University transfer requirements and select Pre-Nursing on your application. Once you have completed all nursing program prerequisites you may apply to the appropriate nursing program by the published deadlines. If you apply to a CSUEB nursing program and do not get admitted, you are encouraged to declare an alternate official major at CSUEB and continue to pursue coursework toward a bachelor's degree in another field while you decide if you want to re-apply to Nursing the following academic year.

Nursing Programs at CSUEB

For more information about CSUEB nursing programs, please go to the admissions page link for the appropriate program, at


Choose the RN-BSN program link if you already have a California RN (Registered Nurse) license or will have one soon through an accredited ADN (Associate Degree in Nursing) program.

Choose the Pre-Licensure program link if you do NOT have an RN (Registered Nurse) license and are NOT currently attending an accredited ADN (Associate Degree in Nursing) program.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share