- Office of the President
- Current Initiatives
- Messages from the President
- In Support of Our DACA Students
- CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Updated University Guidance on Face Coverings at Cal State East Bay
- Looking Forward to Seeing Everyone Again
- Looking forward beyond COVID-19
- CSU to require immunization against COVID-19
- If one of us, then all of us: A statement asking for grace, compassion and togetherness
- Housing Task Force Report
- Post-COVID opportunity scan
- COVID-19 One Year Later
- Establishment of Affinity-Based Student Success Centers
- Welcome to Spring 2021 Semester
- Our Role in Preserving Our Democracy
- A Greeting from President Cathy Sandeen
- Fall Convocation 2021
- In the News
- Leadership Searches
- My Story My Truth
- Presidential History
- Downloadable Images
Office of the President
Cathy Sandeen, Ph.D., MBA is an educational leader who is committed to continuing Cal State East Bay’s momentum in students’ social mobility, social justice and sustainability. As a two-time alumna of the California State University, she feels fortunate to work in a system that emphasizes access and opportunity.
For more than 60 years, Cal State East Bay has provided access to higher education for a diverse student body and advancing regional engagement through its academic programs and leadership. More than 60 percent of Cal State East Bay’s student body are the first in their families to go to college, and the university is recognized nationally for its diversity and impact on social mobility.
Prior to returning to her hometown in the East Bay, Sandeen was chancellor of the University of Alaska Anchorage from September 2018-December 2020, and chancellor of the University of Wisconsin Colleges and UW-Extension for four years. Previously, as vice president for education attainment and innovation at the American Council on Education, she led ACE's nationwide effort to increase post-secondary educational attainment.
She also held leadership positions in the University of California system including at UCLA, Santa Cruz and San Francisco.
Sandeen earned a Ph.D. in communication from the University of Utah and a Master of Business Administration degree from the UCLA Anderson School of Management. She was named an American Council on Education Fellow in 2010-11.
A prolific writer and speaker, Sandeen has published and presented widely on the issues surrounding educational innovation and nontraditional students.
Dr. Cathy Sandeen
Dr. Kimberly Greer
Mr. Derek Aitken
Chief of Staff
Ms. Debbie Chaw
Vice President, Administration and Finance and CFO
Ms. Carrie Stewart
Interim Vice President, University Advancement
Dr. Suzanne Espinoza
Vice President, Student Affairs
Ms. Kimberly Baker-Flowers
University Diversity Officer
Mr. Satinder S. Malhi
Associate Director, Government and Community Relations
Ms. Andrea Lum
Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff
Ms. Rebecca Olivera
Executive Assistant to the President