Pioneers for H.O.P.E (Helping Our Pioneers Excel) California State University, East Bay's new intervention program will address the Chancellor's food and housing security initiatives to include wide-ranging efforts to immediately serve some of our most-at-risk students facing homelessness, food insecurity, and other various crisis situations.
The program aims to provide at-risk students with meals, temporary housing assistance, emergency funds, and referrals to resources that correlate to student's success, health, and wellness. The H.O.P.E. Advisory Board, with representatives from various departments on campus, has met to implement support for students starting Fall 2016 to include:
1. An annual giving campaign for monetary donations.
2. The opening of two campus food pantries in collaboration with the Alameda County Community Food Bank and the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano for the Concord campus.
3. Donation drives for students to include career clothing, toiletries, seasonal drives for coats and socks, etc.
4. Establish an emergency intervention fund to support students in need of emergency assistance.
5. Identify sources of temporary housing for students in need.
The goal of Pioneers for H.O.P.E. is to give at-risk students hope by addressing their most basic needs first and eliminating barriers to allow students to focus on academic success and increase student retention. In 2020 the Advisory Board will transition to be inclusive of a Health, Wellness and Student Well-Being Approach focused on sustainable practices for continuous support
Our Stories of "H.O.P.E." Continue
With the onset of the pandemic, members the H.O.P.E. Advisory board, President Morishita, student affairs, financial aid, Associated Students Inc., University advancement, Student Health, and Counseling, multiple campus communities and YOU came together to support students in distress. Our efforts supported over 10,000 students with emergency financial assistance. And continue to move students from their car to safe shelter, connect entire families to food near their home, help students apply for Cal Fresh food assistance, and bring H.O.P.E. by connecting families to counseling and mental health resources.
Thank You to every single person who continues to support this work
Pioneers for H.O.P.E.