Effective management of Finance is critical in the success of any organization and the need to develop finance expertise has become more essential and urgent with increasing financial challenges around the world. Finance ranks one of the top 10 fields in demand in the US job market according to Job Outlook.
ABOUT FINANCE CONCENTRATION
The Finance option offers students the knowledge, analytical tools, and essential skills used in careers in the finance industry, such as corporate finance, investment banking, financial analyst, investment management, quantitative finance, real estate, insurance, various other financial intermediaries and private enterprise. Corporate financial management includes corporate financing decisions, capital structure, cost of capital, corporate investments and capital budgeting, mergers and acquisitions, dividend policy, corporate governance, among others.
Finance electives cover a broad range of important areas in finance, including: Security Analysis and Portfolio Management; International Financial Management; Financial Markets; Options, Futures, and Derivatives; Management of Risk and Insurance; Financial Management of Banking Institutions; New Venture Financing; and Other Issues in Finance.
Students in finance often enter careers in banking as Budget Analysts or Lending Officers, in brokerage firms as Investment Analysts or Commodities Brokers, in corporations as financial analysts and progress up the managerial ranks to Chief Financial Officer or Treasurer and in investment industry as traders, fund managers, and investment bankers.
MBA with Finance Degree Requirement (42 Semester Units)
To complete the MBA with Finance Concentration, a student must complete the following:
The following 27 core units are required for all M.B.A. students:
- MKTG 601 - Managerial Communications (1.5 units)
- MGMT 601 - Leading People in Organizations (1.5 units)
- MGMT 602 - Business Analytics for Managers (3 units)
- MGMT 603 - Managing Complex Issues in Global Context (3 units)
- ACCT 604 - Financial Accounting (3 units)
- FIN 605 - Corporate Financial Management (3 units)
- ECON 606 - Managerial Economics (3 units)
- MKTG 607 - Marketing Management (3 units)
- MGMT 608 - Operations and Supply Chain Management (3 units)
- MGMT 609 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (3 units)
FIN 605 (former BUS 605) is a prerequisite for all Finance electives.
In addition to the successful completion of the MBA Core course Requirements, an MBA student who chooses the Finance Concentration will be required to satisfy the prerequisite core Finance Course FIN 605.
All Finance concentration students will be required to complete the following course:
- FIN 620 - Seminar in Security Analysis and Portfolio Management Units: 3
Students can choose three (3) courses from the following electives:
- FIN 630 - Seminar in Options and Futures Units: 3
- FIN 640 - Financial Markets and Institutions Units: 3
- FIN 650 - Financial Management of Banking Institutions Units: 3
- FIN 660 - International Financial Management Units: 3
- FIN 670 - New Venture Financing Units: 3
The following capstone is required for 3 units to complete the degree:
- BUS 693 - Strategic Management Capstone (Project) Units: 3