Cal State East Bay to Celebrate Graduates in May Commencement Ceremonies
- BY Cal State East Bay
- January 28, 2022
Flowing gowns, decorative mortarboards and the light-stepped walk of a new college graduate will return to Cal State East Bay’s Hayward campus May 12-15 as the university recognizes its graduating classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022 at in-person ceremonies.
The ceremonies will be held at four different university venues from Thursday, May 12 through Sunday, May 15. In consultation with the college deans and students, the university identified 20 separate ceremonies when graduates will have their names announced in a formal recognition of their achievements. Each of the ceremonies will host between 35 to 500 graduates.
“We surveyed the graduates to find out what was important to them,” said Richard Watters, Executive Director of Alumni Engagement and University Events. “They want to celebrate with family and loved ones in smaller, more intimate ceremonies which will result in a richer experience.”
College of Business & Economics
- Graduate Programs: Sunday, May 15 at 12:30 p.m.
- Undergraduate Programs: Sunday, May 15 at 4:30 p.m.
College of Education & Allied Studies
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership: Sunday, May 15 at 11 a.m.
- Educational Leadership, Sunday: May 15 at 1 p.m.
- Educational Psychology, Sunday: May 15 at 3 p.m.
- Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism and Kinesiology: Saturday, May 14 at 2 p.m.
- Teacher Education: Sunday, May 15 at 9 a.m.
College of Letters, Arts & Social Sciences
- Art, Communication, English, Modern Languages & Literatures, Music and Philosophy & Religious Studies: Saturday, May 14 at 8:30 a.m.
- Anthropology, Geography & Environmental Studies, Ethnic Studies, History, Global Studies, and Liberal Studies: Saturday, May 14 at 10:30 a.m.
- Criminal Justice, Human Development & Women's Studies, and Sociology: Saturday, May 14 at 5 p.m.
- Political Science: Friday, May 13 at 10 a.m.
- Public Affairs & Administration and Social Work: Friday, May 13 at 2:30 p.m.
- Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences: Friday, May 13 at 3 p.m.
- Theatre & Dance: Saturday, May 14 at 4 p.m.
College of Science
- Biological Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Earth & Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics & Biostatistics: Saturday, May 14 at 9:30 a.m.
- Engineering and Computer Science: Sunday, May 15 at 8:30 a.m.
- Nursing: Saturday, May 14 at 3 p.m.
- Public Health: Saturday, May 14 at 1 p.m.
- Psychology: Friday, May 13 at 5 p.m.
On Thursday, May 12 at 5 p.m., Cal State East Bay will hold a special commencement ceremony for the Classes of 2020 and 2021 on the Hayward campus. In both years, regional public health orders restricted large gatherings and events.
Cal State East Bay President Cathy Sandeen plans to welcome graduates at each of the celebrations.
“These students have persevered through the last two years of their coursework with tenacity and innovation, and we are privileged to be able to celebrate this milestone with them, their families and friends,” Sandeen said. “Everyone who has heard about this year's multiple ceremonies is thrilled that we can recognize our graduates in these cohort-focused events.”
Graduates will be invited to GradFest held March 22-24, for a one-stop event with commencement information, event parking passes, and cap and gown purchases.
The Commencement website will be updated through the spring with additional information.