Supporting Inclusive Excellence
As a part of the University’s Eight Shared Strategic Commitments, the Office of University Diversity guides the University in "enhancing our inclusive campus, responding to the backgrounds and interests of our diverse student, staff and faculty community and promoting their academic, professional and personal development."
The office aims to support a campus culture where individual traits, identities, and backgrounds (such as race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, age, height, geographical region, language, ability status, learning style, and cultural/religious/political affiliation, etc.) are celebrated and included as a cohesive parts of the campus community. It is essential that our campus community reflect the vast representation of people in the Bay Area and the world at-large.
The Office of University Diversity demonstrates these values by collaborating with students, faculty, and staff in the following ways:
- Broadening the recruitment pool of student and employee applicants by working with the different search committees, recruiters, and the Department of Human Resources
- Engaging in Campus Climate activities, such as the Week of Inclusive Excellence, that support student and faculty scholarship related to social justice, diversity, and inclusive excellence
- Working with faculty & staff via organizations such as the Asian Pacific Islander Faculty & Staff Association (APIFSA), the Chicano/Latino Faculty & Staff Association (CLFSA), and the African American Faculty & Staff Association (AAFSA)
- Advocating cultural and inclusive awareness in the rhetoric, as well as in the actions of our campus
- Working with students via the Diversity Center, Student Life & Leadership, Associated Students, Inc. (ASI), and Accessibility Services to sponsor programs that promote campus awareness and unity
Please join us in the continuous mission to ensure that Cal State East Bay is a welcoming and inclusive haven to all members of our community. Diversity is a key element to our resolve to attain and maintain excellence.