The CSU provides one vision plan for all eligible employees and their dependents. Vision Service Plan (VSP) (Group #30059426) is the vision plan provider and will provide administration of vision benefits and claims on behalf of the employer-paid California State University (CSU) Vision Plan. Employees who are eligible for benefits will be automatically enrolled in the plan. You can review your Benefit Summary and EOC (evidence of coverage) here.
Employees of the State of California whose appointment is at least six months and one day (tenure) and at least half-time (time base) may sign up for the CalPERS Health Benefit Program. In addition, lecturers or coaches with a time base of .40 or greater who are appointed for an academic year or two quarter appointment are eligible. Please download the Lecturer Benefit Eligibility Criteria (PDF) for additional information.
- Unmarried, natural, stepchildren, or adopted children under the age of 26
- Domestic partners (contact Human Resources for more information)
- Economically dependent children
- More Convenient Customer Service Hours
VSP offers extended customer service hours, and their representatives are available Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. via their toll-free telephone number: (800) 877-7195.
- Account Information Access
VSP has an automated Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system and Website that is available 24 hours a day, for the purposes of providing personalized information on eligibility, plan coverage, past service, online messaging to customer service, as well as information regarding doctors in the VSP Select Network. The VSP website is:http://www.vsp.com
- Commitment to Eye Health
VSP has developed a comprehensive Eye Health Management Program that includes: eye education, Patient Eyecare Report, Diabetes Awareness Program, communication with participants’ Primary Care Physician (PCP), and Eye on Health, an annual eye wellness newsletter.
- The in-network frame allowance is $95.00;
- The out-of-network frame allowance is $60.00;
- The in-network contact lens allowance is $120.00;
- Polycarbonate lenses are covered for dependent children in-network up to age 26;
- Discounts of approximately 15% for laser correction surgery are available.
- lenses every other calendar year1
- single vision, lined bifocal and lined trifocal lenses\
- frames every other calendar year
- Exam: $10 co-payment is required
- The new prescription differs from the original by at least a .50 diopter sphere or cylinder
- There is a change in the axis of 15 degrees or more
- A difference in vertical prism greater than one prism
There is no monthly premium. The vision plan is currently employer-paid.
Choice of Providers
You may select any licensed ophthalmologist, optometrist, or dispensing optician to provide services covered under this benefit, including such providers outside of California. However, the highest benefit is received when using a participating provider from the VSP Provider list. The participating provider will verify benefits and eligibility and obtain authorization from Vision Service Plan (VSP).
Employees may complete an online member registration enrollment to create a user identification (ID) and password, for the purpose of viewing his/her vision benefits at www.vsp.com. There are no ID cards or filling out a claim form under this plan. The employee only needs to provide the Group #30059426. Forms can be downloaded for an out-of-network reimbursement form (PDF) or CVC claim form (Computer Vision Glasses).
Benefit Plan Enhancements
An overview of the program can be found in the CSU VSP announcement (PDF).
A $10 co-payment is required for an exam. $10 co-payment for eyeglass prescription.
Video Display Terminal (VDT) Benefit
All active employees (dependents are not eligible) who utilize a video display terminal four (4) or more hours per day on a regular basis as provided in their job description shall be eligible for the VDT program as follows: Eye Exam, Lenses and Frames every other calendar year. Frames are covered up to $95. The Eye Exam and Lenses are covered in full.
1New lenses will be approved and replaced every calendar year if at least one of the following criteria is met:
* The new prescription differs from the original by at least a .50 dopter sphere or cylinder
* There is a change in the axis of 15 degrees or more
* A difference in vertical prism greater than one prism diopter