Risk Management & Internal Control

Comprehensive And Collision Insurance

The university obtains vehicle liability insurance through the State of California’s Motor Vehicle Insurance Program.  However, this program does not provide any comprehensive (fire and theft) or collision coverage.  As a result, the repair or replacement of a university vehicle is the financial responsibility of the owning department.  As a result, in a very few limited circumstances, the purchase of comprehensive and collision insurance may be an attractive option.

For university owned vehicles, it is suggested only for high value vehicles and vehicles with a high risk of loss.

For leased or donated vehicles, the terms of the lease or loan frequently include the requirement to provide evidence of insurance coverage.  In which case, insurance can be obtained by contacting the university insurance coordinator.  The insured limit is generally the value of the vehicle so that in the event of a total loss, the vehicle could be replaced.  Common deductibles are $500 or $1,000.  Premiums will vary depending on the insured limit and deductible selected.  You can expect to pay 2.5% to 5%.

An insurance quote can be obtained by providing the insurance coordinator the vehicle identification number (VIN), vehicle cost/value, year, make and model, name of the company from which the vehicle has been loaned or leased, and a list of authorized drivers.  The cost of the insurance premium is the responsibility of the requesting department.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share