Driving on State Business
Employees must do the following:
- Complete Defensive Driver Training*
- Submit DMV Pull Notice to Risk Management SA4700
- Submit an Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (STD 261) (PDF) to your Department Supervisor annually.
Be advised that insurance on your private vehicle will be primary and the University's will be excess. There is no physical damage (comprehensive and collision) coverage.
*Defensive Driver Training is required for all employees driving state vehicles and/or driving privately owned vehicles on state business, regardless of the frequency of travel. University vehicles should only be used to conduct university or state business. Only university employees can drive university vehicles.
For complete driving guidelines refer to: Use of University and Private Vehicle Guide
In Case of a Vehicle Accident
- Call 911 if immediate medical attention is needed for anyone involved in the accident.
- If any police authority or highway patrol is present, obtain a police report number if a report is completed.
- Report any accident immediately to Risk Management (510) 885-2743. Complete and submit the Standard Form 270 (Vehicle Accident Report) to your supervisor and Risk Management.
- Immediately report any bodily injury or significant property damage to the State Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) at (916) 322-0459 or by fax at (916) 322-6006. Weekend voice mail messages can be left at (916) 322- 8967.
- Submit Supervisor's State Driver Accident Review Form STD 274