Risk Management & Internal Control

CSUEB Motor Vehicle Use

Employees may be authorized to use a privately owned vehicle on university business if they certify that the vehicle used will continuously be:

- Covered by liability insurance at or above 1) $15,000 for personal injury or death of one person; 2) $30,000 for personal injury to two or more persons in one accident, and 3) $5,000 for property damage.

- Adequate for the work to be performed 

- Equipped with safety belts in operating condition

- In safe mechanical condition as required by law

This certification shall be recorded on Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (Std 261) and maintained in the department office and Accounts Payable as no reimbursement for mileage will be processed without a current form on file.  The form must be renewed annually.

The person who plans to drive a privately owned vehicle should be aware that the insurance maintained by the state is only applicable to that liability of the person which is over and above the liability insurance maintained by the person.  Claims paid by private insurance will not be reimbursed by the University. 

- An employee may seek relief for out-of-pocket expenses such as deductibles from their department if:

- The damage occurred while the vehicle was being used on university business

- The damage was not the fault of the university employee 

- The amount claimed was actually paid by the employee (not by the insurance company or another party to the accident)

- The amount claimed did not result from the employee’s decision not to maintain comprehensive, collision or other coverage.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share