CSUEB Exchange Programs

Picture of a building that is made with eastern architectureCalifornia State University, East Bay Exchange Programs are established through formal reciprocal agreements with overseas universities. Under these agreements, a Cal State East Bay student and a student from the host partner university exchange places while continuing to pay fees at their home university. Students who participate on these exchange programs receive assistance when they arrive at the overseas institution but students must be independent, mature, adaptable, and flexible.

Features of Cal State East Bay Exchange Programs

  • Coursework available for numerous majors
  • Coursework in English, along with language instruction in the host country
  • Semester and year-long programs available
  • Students earn resident credit while studying abroad
  • Students pay their normal CSUEB tuition for the term(s) they are studying abroad
  • On-campus housing available at most locations

top of page


  • Enrollment at Cal State East Bay for one quarter prior to departure
  • Cumulative G.P.A. of 2.7
  • Upper division standing (90 quarter units) by the time you study overseas
  • Completion of all required remedial courses prior to departure

top of page


top of page

Application Procedure

  1. Review CSUEB Exchange Information Sheet and visit the host university’s website to research courses available.
  2. Meet with your Major and GE advisors to see if courses taken abroad can be used to apply towards your degree. Upon successful completion, your coursework will count as CSUEB resident credit, appear on your CSUEB transcript, and be calculated into your CSUEB grade point average. Whether a class can be counted towards a major or general education requirement depends on your major department and the GE advisor. You should therefore speak with your both advisors prior to departure. If you find that classes in your major are not offered at a location you would like to study, consider declaring another minor or major! Tip: Take course descriptions with you when you meet your advisors.
  3. Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to see if you are eligible for financial aid and to review the costs of the program. Financial aid (except for work study) may be applied to the CSUEB Bilateral Exchange Programs. Find out when and where aid will be dispersed. You may have to plan ahead with how you will pay for expenses if your financial aid check is late.
  4. Contact Kelly Moran at the Center for International Education to discuss application procedure and deadline for the Exchange location of your choice.
  5. Complete Host University’s Exchange application and submit to the Center for International Education.  Please note:  If more qualified CSUEB students apply for a particular semester than the exchange partner can accommodate, the Center for International Education may need to interview and select students to be nominated for exchange.
  6. For most programs, acceptance notification will occur within one to two months after the program deadline. Acceptance is based on the applicant's motivation, recommendations, transcripts, and on the availability of bilateral "slots" available at the partner university. Notification will occur by email to your university Horizon email account.
  7. You are required to notify the Exchange Programs Advisor of your decision to participate in the bilateral exchange program within two weeks of acceptance notification. In the event that you do not reply, it will be assumed you have declined the placement.
  8. Accepted students are required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation and must submit all acceptance documents prior to departure. Accepted students are also responsible for obtaining the necessary visas for entry into the host country.
  9. Upon the completion of the program, host university transcripts will be received by the Exchange Programs Advisor and forwarded to the Records Office to be applied to your academic records. This process can take anywhere from 2-5 months. If you decide to study abroad in your last semester, please be advised that the posting of your degree may be delayed until transcripts are received and credits are applied. You may have to enroll in an additional quarter.

top of page

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share