Non-Cal State East Bay Programs

Students who are thinking about studying abroad through non-California State University, East Bay programs have the following options:

Study Abroad and Exchange Programs though other CSU Universities

Cal State East Bay students may participate in study abroad and exchange programs through other CSU universities (opens in new window). Cal State East Bay students will apply to be an Intrasystem Visitor at the CSU university sponsoring the program in addition to applying to the study abroad program.

  • Students may only study for one semester as an Intrasystem Visitor.
  • Financial Aid applies.
  • Students will receive transfer credit from the CSU campus sponsoring the study abroad program. Students must check with the Study Abroad advisor of the CSU campus sponsoring the program regarding space and eligibility before applying. For assistance, contact the Exchange Programs Advisor at Cal State East Bay's Center for International Education.

top of page

Study Abroad on a non-CSU or CSUEB Program

Studying abroad on non-CSU or Cal State East Bay programs is something that students should examine very carefully.

Students who are thinking of study abroad on non-CSU/non-CSUEB approved programs should be aware that they may be required to reapply to Cal State East Bay and may lose catalog rights upon return from Study Abroad, depending on the length of time they are gone. Students are not considered enrolled at CSUEB if they are on a non-approved program. See CSUEB Catalog for more information on B.A./B.S. requirements and Planned Educational Leave.

The Center for International Education does not advise on the quality of non-CSU/EB programs.

Below is a list of issues that students should consider when thinking about choosing to study on a non-CSU or CSUEB study abroad program.

The information below is provided as a courtesy and does not guarantee transfer of units or that students will maintain class standing while abroad.

  1. Research different study abroad programs at sites like and (links open in new window).
  2. Research the academic quality of the study abroad program. Iti s a good idea to keep all course descriptions and materials from the program in case department and graduation evaluators have questions.
  3. Speak with your GE advisor and major department advisor about your intent to study abroad and whether courses would transfer.
  4. Submit an official transcript to the Office of Admissions. Be aware that Planning and Enrollment Management (Admissions) will determine the final transfer of units when you file for graduation.
  5. Financial aid will not transfer.

top of page

back to Program Options

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share