History of Service Learning and Community Engagement within the California State University System: Beginning in the 1990s, the California State University (CSU) began to recognize the value of service learning as a vehicle that would meet the state's changing educational needs while also imparting vital civic skills and knowledge. In 1997, infrastructure was established at all 23 campuses and the systemwide office, the Board of Trustees passed a landmark resolution calling for the creation of service opportunities for all students, and outside funding was secured (calstate.edu/cce).
History of Service Learning and Community Engagement ay Cal State East Bay: At that time, service learning was supported through the (now-defunct) Office of Instructional Services. In February of 2001, Mack Lovett, AVP of Instructional Services hired Mary D'Alleva as the Director of Service Learning. After being housed briefly in 2004 in Academic Programs and Graduate Studies, the Service Learning Program moved into Faculty Development, and since then Faculty Support Services. The mission of the Service Learning Program was to support faculty and community partners. In 2013, the Service Learning Program became the Center for Community Engagement, broadening the scope of work to include a variety of curricular and co-curricular efforts. VIEW A TIMELINE OF CCE HIGHLIGHTS HERE.
Our mission is to enhance learning, inspire engagement, and improve community well being.
What does the CCE do?
- document, gather, and disseminate data on community engagement activities and events for the campus and community
- advise and consult on best practices; develop and share resources for faculty and community partners
- help direct interested campus and community members seeking out opportunities
- administer community-based learning courses through management of the CalStateS4 web application
- support scholarship, research, and grants related to community engagement
- develop and maintain community partnerships
- coordinate and promote Pioneers for Change (paid community-based learning internships)
- coordinate the Freshmen Day of Service.