In 2014, the passage of law AB 1826, which requires businesses and public entities to sort out organic waste for composting, prompted discussions about altering the waste system at Cal State East Bay. As a result, in partnership with Cascadia Consulting Group, Cal State East Bay conducted a Waste Audit finding that 80 percent of the waste going to landfills was recoverable (50% was compostable and 30% was recyclable). In addition, Cal State East Bay is governed by the CSU Sustainability Policy, which requires all campuses reduce waste by 80% in 2020, and the Carbon Commitment Greenhouse Gas reduction targets.
Because of AB 1826, the CSU Sustainability Policy, and the Carbon Commitment, Cal State East Bay is upgrading the campus waste disposal system from single stream to triple stream.
Compost, Recycling, and Landfill
As of early 2017, all facilities on campus use the triple stream system, which utilizes separate waste bins for handling compost, recycling, and landfill waste.
- For food scraps, soiled paper products, and other organic material.
- Bins can be found in break rooms, common areas, and in areas where food is served.
- Compost bins are the color green.
- For clean paper products, glass, metals, and plastics (1-7).
- Recycling bins will accompany landfill bins across campus, inside and outside of buildings.
- Recycling bins are the color blue.
- All items neither compostable nor recyclable such as Styrofoam products, plastic straws, and candy wrappers go in landfill bins.
- Landfill bins will accompany recycling bins across campus, inside and outside of buildings.
- Landfill bins will be black and office landfill bins will be small caddies that hang from the side of a larger, blue recycling bin.
For more information about what can be composted and recycled at CSUEB view the Waste Management Recycling Information packet for CSUEB.
For additional resources to help your office or classroom use the system, please check out the following links:
- PowerPoint Training on using the triple stream system
- E-waste Flyer for Posting
- Triple Stream Pamphlet
- Compost, Recycling and Landfill signs
- Guidance on Compostable Food Service Items
For further information on how waste is handled at Cal State East Bay, contact Facilities Development & Operations.
If you would like a training on how to properly use the triple waste steam system, please contact the Office of Sustainability at email@example.com.
Hazardous and Electronic Waste
Hazardous materials and electronic waste disposal is coordinated by Cal State East Bay Environmental Health & Safety.