Risk Management & Internal Control

Foreign Travel

All faculty, students and staff traveling internationally on University business are required to use the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP).

The Foreign Travel Insurance program provides accident & sickness (including medical coverage), general liability, excess auto liability, foreign workers' compensation, and executive assistance (including legal assistance, embassy/consular contacts and assistance in replacing lost documents).

Insurance must be requested at least 45 days in advance of travel.
To request foreign travel insurance, send email with name of traveler, department, reason for travel, travel destination(s), dates of travel, and the chartfield for premium to:
  Ann Marie Rivas at ann.rivas@csueastbay.edu 

Please note that premiums for each traveler are recharged to appropriate department. Appropriate university approvals must be in place before insurance may be authorized.

Approval for international travel on university business requires the approval of the Provost office at least 45 days in advance. To request approval, follow established departmental procedures. The complete CSU travel policy may be found at http://www.calstate.edu/icsuam/sections/3000/Travel_Procedures_G-001_Final.pdf

Travel to High Hazard countries must comply with the Chancellor's Office Technical letter. Travelers must contact Risk Management (SA1600) at least 45 days prior to travel.

Travelers are advised to check the US State Department website and Systemwide Risk Management High Hazard Country list for the most current high hazard international travel warning information.  Both lists are subject to change.

 Insurance premiums:

  • Faculty/Staff/student trips up to 15 days, $60
  • Faculty/Staff/student trips up to 31 days, $75
  • Trips of more than 30 days in length require insurance underwriter approval
  • Additional premium for travel to High Hazard Country

It is recommended that all employees traveling internationally sign up for the State Department's Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This system provides information to travelers should conditions in the foreign country change and can assist  in an emergency. The on-line enrollment site is at https://travelregistration.state.gov.

  • Print This Page
  • Bookmark and Share