- Department of History
- East Bay Historia
- The Latest News!
- WHAT WE DO
- EB StoryCorps
- Undergraduate Majors
- Graduate Majors
Applying to the Graduate Program in History
- MA in History
- University Thesis Option
- Examination Option
- Teaching Option
- Public History Option
- Application deadline for the Fall 2021 semester is May 1, 2021.
- The deadline for Spring 2021 is Nov, 1, 2020.
- The application process for Fall 2020 is closed.
- Please see university website for additional directions. Please note directions carefully, as the graduate program is not responsible for forwarding misdirected supporting documents to the department.
What you should send to the department:
To complete your application for Fall 2021, please submit the following to the department (in addition to your on-line university application through Cal State Apply https://www2.calstate.edu/
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from someone who is able to judge your academic work)
- A statement of purpose
- A writing sample (4-25 pages. The sample should showcase your ability to write a research-based, fully cited scholarly essay. Ideally, this will be a paper written for a history class but papers written for other classes are also acceptable. If you don't have such samples on hand, you might compose a new paper on an historical topic.)
- Unofficial copies of college transcripts (your on-line application to the university will require official transcripts)
You must submit the above to the department, separate from your on-line university application, by the department's deadline. MA applicants are admitted on a rolling basis. Please send all materials to Dr. Linda Ivey, the Graduate Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).