Real-World Politics

• BY Cal State East Bay
  • June 6, 2018

Alex Goelzer, a Cal State East Bay undergraduate and commencement speaker for the College of Letters Arts and Social Science ceremony was recently accepted into a prestigious Executive Capital Fellowship program in Sacramento.

Goelzer, who will be receiving his bachelor’s degree in political science June 9, will serve as an Executive Fellow sponsored by the Center for California Studies.

The program is an experiential learning opportunity for students like Goelzer to experience California state government firsthand. Executive fellows serve in full-time professional staff roles in the governor’s office, constitutional offices, cabinet, commissions and departments. The type of work depends on the needs of the office and the skills of the fellow, but often surrounds policy development, legislation and program implementation.

Goelzer said he is very excited about the opportunity and that finding out he was accepted was “the biggest news of [his] life.”

“I want to thank Cal State East Bay and my professors for helping push me to improve my writing and academic skills, getting me more involved with my education and professional opportunities, and especially for writing letters of recommendation for me,” he said. “I wouldn’t have these opportunities today if it weren’t for them.”

Political science professor and department chair Elizabeth Bergman said Goelzer will have the opportunity of a lifetime and gain valuable experience toward his future career.

“This is a wonderful and rare opportunity for one of our students,” she said. “Alex is to be commended for this achievement; being accepted into the highly competitive and prestigious Executive Capital Fellowship in Sacramento is difficult – the entire political science department is proud of Alex. Alex’s journey is illustrative of what students can accomplish while at Cal State East Bay.”

Bergman explained that Goelzer took advantage of various resources and opportunities at the university which likely helped boost his application.

“I’m sure Alex will do well during his fellowship, gaining real-world experience in policy development and having the chance to experience government and politics firsthand,” she said. “The Executive Capital Fellowship program is well known for the opportunities it provides fellows to work in one of the country’s most fast-paced and exciting executive branches.”