Students at orientation stand outside music building

In-Person Orientation Sessions Return to Cal State East Bay

• BY Cal State East Bay
  • July 13, 2021
Orientations leaders pose together holding Ask Me sign

Garvin Tso

Student Life & Leadership is continuing its in-person orientation sessions for new Cal State East Bay students this week, welcoming incoming first-year students to the Hayward campus July 15-16. The Pioneer Preview Sessions are among the first major activities to resume on campus since the COVID-19 pandemic moved most of the university’s operations online in March 2020. 

“It’s been over a year since we’ve been able to congregate on campus so this is an amazing experience to get to talk to students, really get to know them and get them accustomed to coming back on campus,” said Erin Quineri, an orientation team leader and business administration major.  

The orientations, hosted by student ambassadors on the Orientation Team, are being held exclusively outdoors and are limited to about 50 attendees per session. They allow incoming students to experience the campus setting, meet other new students, hear from guest speakers and get answers to important questions. 

The sessions are intended to supplement the mandatory online orientation sessions that all new students must attend at some point this summer.   

Transfer students had an opportunity to attend in-person orientation sessions June 23-24. 

“I really liked that I was able to see the campus and know the buildings so I have an idea where my classes are going to be,” said Destiny Avalos, a transfer student from Union City. “I also really liked that we were able to ask questions to the board - they were really helpful. I’m glad I came today.”