Admission and Requirements
The University Honors Program provides outstanding students the opportunity for academic challenge through the completion of specialized courses, seminars and projects under the direction of faculty mentors.
University Honors Students in good standing gain early registration for most university classes, attend educational and social events with other Honors Students, have exclusive use of the Main Library’s University Honors Student Center, and may be considered for periodic awards and scholarships. University Honors Students also develop close professional relationships with their faculty mentors, receive recognition on their official transcripts and diplomas, and enjoy special acknowledgement at both the Honors Convocation and Graduation ceremonies.
Admission to the program is open to:
- Undergraduate students admitted to the university with a minimum 3.60 GPA.
- Students who have maintained a 3.60 GPA in their last 36 quarter (or equivalent semester) units of baccalaureate-level coursework.
- Transfer students who have maintained a minimum 3.60 GPA in their most recent three quarters and 36 units of coursework (or two semesters and 24 units) at their prior college or university.
- Transfer students who successfully participated in the honors program at their prior college or university.
In addition, eligible students must have satisfied the EPT/ELM requirements.
Eligible students should complete an online application to participate in this program. Only students who have formally indicated a desire to participate in the University Honors Program may take courses for honors credit.
Once accepted in the University Honors Program, students must remain in good standing in the program by:
- completing at least one University Honors Course (a minimum of 4 quarter units) per academic year with grades of "B" or better, and
- maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.60 for all CSUEB coursework taken subsequent to being accepted to the University Honors Program.
Students who fail to meet the maintenance requirements for two consecutive quarters will be dropped from the program.
Learn how to obtain credit for University Honors Courses.
Graduate from University Honors Program
To graduate from the University Honors Program, students must:
- Complete 20 units of honors courses with at least 8 units outside the major. "Honors" units will only be assigned upon completion of courses approved by the University Honors Program Director in which the student earns a "B" or better and completes an honors project to the satisfaction of the instructor of the course. University Honors Courses may be in the student's major or minor, as well as in general education, and/or free electives. At least 8 honors units, however, must be taken outside the student's major. University Honors Courses may not be taken "credit/no credit."
- Complete GS 3999, a one-unit seminar designed exclusively for University Honors Students.
- Be part of the program for at least one academic year and maintain a 3.60 GPA.
University Honors Students will receive special recognition at the Honors Convocation and/or at graduation. Additionally, University Honors Students will receive recognition on their transcripts and their diplomas, as well as a certificate of recognition from the program.