Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Transfer Admission Requirements

Upper-division transfer students are required to:

  • Have completed 60 or more transferable semester (90 quarter) units
  • Have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better in all transferable units attempted.
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
  • Have completed at least 30 transferable semester (45 quarter) units of college coursework with a grade of C or better in each of the following courses, at a level at least equivalent to courses that meet the following General Education requirements at Cal State East Bay:
    1. Oral Communication (usually 3 semester units): a public speaking course (A-1 at California community colleges)
    2. Written Communication (usually 3 semester units): a freshman English composition course (A-2 at California community colleges)
    3. Critical Thinking – (usually 3 semester units): a logic or argumentation / debate course (A-3 at California community colleges)
    4. Math / Quantitative Reasoning – (usually 3 semester units): a math course with intermediate algebra as a prerequisite (B-4 at California community colleges). The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning are also accepted.

To determine if your courses will transfer and/or satisfy the above requirements (A1, A2, A3, B4) you can use the following resources:

  • California Community College Courses: Search for courses in ASSIST.
  • Private or out-of-state colleges: CSUEB maintains the TES database of pre-approved transfer courses from private and out-of-state colleges. If you do not see your course listed, it does not necessarily mean it will not be transferrable since it only contains courses already reviewed by our staff. You can Search for Courses in TES.

For Upper-division Transfer Students (Juniors and Seniors)

Cal State East Bay's Local Admission Area includes the state of California as CSUEB is not deemed impacted for Upper Division Transfer students. All applicants, regardless of location, must fully meet the CSU transfer admission requirements and adhere to all posted admission deadlines. The minimum GPA to qualify for admission is a 2.0.

CSUEB only accepts applications from upper-division transfer students. Upper division transfer applicants must meet all of the admission requirements listed by the term indicated in the following table.

Upper-division Transfer Admission Requirements
If you applied for:Admission requirements must be completed by the end of the previous:
Fall Quarter Spring Semester/Quarter
Winter Quarter Summer Semester/Quarter
Spring Quarter Fall Semester/Quarter
Summer Quarter Fall Semester/Winter Quarter

Quarter Start Dates

The application for admission requires you indicate a quarter to begin enrollment. The approximate start dates for each quarter are as follows:

  • Fall Quarter: classes begin in mid-September
  • Winter Quarter: classes begin in early January
  • Spring Quarter: classes begin in late March or early April
  • Summer Quarter: classes begin in mid-June

Document Submission

Please submit all required items by the published document deadlines. Official documents, including test scores and transcripts in their original sealed envelope, may be hand-carried to Cal State East Bay's Enrollment Information Center, located on the first floor of the Student Services and Administration (SA) Building on the Hayward Campus, or the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus. Or they may be mailed to:

Office of Admission
Cal State East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542

Application Term of Entry Updates

Cal State East Bay's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in Cal State Apply, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit the form with your application fee online. Cal State East Bay will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application with a letter by postal mail.

Transferring Credits

Official transcripts from all college or university attended must be sent to Cal State East Bay by the published document deadlines.

After enrollment, students will have transferrable credits outlined in a CSU Degree Audit Report or DAR. Due to the large number of new students enrolling at Cal State East Bay, it typically takes a minimum of two quarters of enrollment before your CSU Degree Audit Report (DAR) is completed. Learn more by visiting the Transferring Credits web page.

Admission Appeals Procedures

If you were denied admission, you may appeal the decision; learn more about Admission Appeals Procedures.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.