CSU Early Start Program (ESP)
Early Start is a Smart Start!
The Early Start Program was mandated by the CSU Board of Trustees in response to numbers of new students requiring remediation in mathematics and English. The goals of the Early Start Program include better preparation of new students in mathematics and English by starting in the summer preceding Fall enrollment, provide better assessment of academic preparation and improve students' likelihood of a successful completion of a college degree.
CSU Early Start Details:
- Early Start is required for freshmen who have not fulfilled the Entry Level Math (ELM) and/or English Placement Test (EPT) proficiency requirements or other exemption criteria.
- The program takes place the summer before the freshman year.
- In May, CSU campuses will provide students required to participate in Early Start instructions on how to sign up.
- Students can complete the CSU Early Start program at CSUEB or at another CSU location. A listing of CSU Early Start program options at the 23 CSU campuses is posted at www.csusuccess.org/earlystart.
Early Start at Cal State East Bay
Freshman admitted to CSUEB who must participate in the CSU Early Start program will be notified in May. Students can complete the Early Start program at CSUEB or at another CSU location.
CSUEB’s two-week Early Start math class is an online course with all instruction offered online. CSUEB’s three-week Early Start English class is not online; it is offered in a traditional classroom format at the Hayward or Concord campus.
Early Start Costs
The cost of an Early Start course is $182 per unit and is subject to change based on approved fee increases. Fees for campus parking and course instruction materials may also be charged. California residents who apply for financial aid and have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $5000 or less may be eligible for a waiver of the per unit fee.
Students with questions about the Early Start Program can contact the CSUEB Early Start Program office in the following ways:
- Phone: (510) 885-3910
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Early Start Program, please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.