- Campus Directories
- Find People
- Administrative Divisions & Departments
- A-Z Index
- Colleges & Departments
- Faculty Profiles
- Emergency Numbers
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE/OFF-CAMPUS CRISIS REFERRAL
- POLICY REGARDING THE USE OF CAMPUS TELEPHONES
Mar Thomas Faculty Profile
Mar was born and raised in Spain. Her love of the English language took her to Westminster College in London where she earned her first certificate in English from Cambridge University. In London, she also worked as a travel agent, interpreter, and Spanish language tutor. In Spain she taught English at elementary, middle school and college. She continued her passion for teaching Spanish in at a number of schools in California, where she has lived for the last 18 years.
Mar earned a Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies, with an emphasis in early childhood education, from Cal State University East Bay and her Master’s degree in Spanish Linguistics from New Mexico State University. Mar is also a writer and published her first Spanish-English children’s book in January 2013.
In her spare time she loves walks in the Sierra, skiing in the winter, playing pickle ball, and traveling abroad, especially London!
- Second language acquisition research
- Foreign language learning
- Iberian Peninsula history
- Etymology of the Castilian language
- Language differences and similarities between Spain and South America
- South American ancient civilizations history
- Creative writing and translation
- B.A. Liberal Studies, CSU East Bay
- M.A. Spanish Linguistics, New Mexico State University