Education Specialist Credential
- Summer Admission (5 semesters)
- Fall Admission (if you hold a general education credential, the program is 4 semesters)
- The Education Specialist and MS degree in Special Education Program are offered online. Candidates participate in synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Fieldwork supervision is carried out in a face-to-face format.
Mild/Moderate Support Needs: MMSN
Extensive Support Needs: ESN
The Educational Specialist Credential addresses the needs of the diverse population of students receiving special education services while their Specialist teacher candidates obtain critical knowledge and skills in of core curriculum and specialized instruction. Meets the CCTC requirements for specific areas of overlap across Education Specialist credentials in mild/moderate and moderate/severe disabilities.
The Educational Specialist Credential offers two area options of focus to choose from.
- Mild to Moderate Disabilities option (Autism Authorization included)
- Moderate to Severe Disabilities option
An innovative program for candidates working toward Education Specialist credentials (Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Disabilities).
- Meets all current California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) Education Specialist Standards including the addition of the Autism Authorization to Mild-Moderate Disabilities, as well as the Moderate-Severe Disabilities
- Enables all Special Education teacher candidates who hold a CA Multiple or Single Subject Credential to complete their preliminary specialist credentials in Mild/Moderate (M/M) or Moderate/Severe (M/S) disabilities.
- Addresses the needs of the diverse population of students receiving special education services while their Specialist teacher candidates obtain critical knowledge and skills in
corecurriculum and specialized instruction.
- Meets the CTC requirements for specific areas of overlap across Education Specialist credentials in mild/moderate and moderate/severe disabilities.
- Increases pool of qualified special educators, to address the ongoing special educator shortage in the Bay Area.
- Includes a Masters of Science in Special Education in the 4-
Current Intern MOU List
Admissions related questions: Credential Student Service Center
Program Coordinator: Dr. Linda Smetana