Department of Statistics and Biostatistics
Attention Current and Prospective Students
The Department of Statistics and Biostatistics at the California State University East Bay is excited to welcome new and returning students for the Fall 2021 semester. As it stands right now, we are expecting to be mostly on-ground for the Fall semester. It is important to recognize that this is subject to change at any time. For the latest information, please visit our University's webpage (https://www.csueastbay.edu/coronavirus-information/index.html).
Tenure Track Faculty SearchThe Department of Statistics and Biostatistics is please to announce that it is now searching for one tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level (description found here) to start Fall 2022. The areas of application we seek are: Data Science, Data Visualization, Computational Statistics, and Biostatistics. Applicants must have a Ph.D. by start date. Apply online at: https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/873/eb/applicationForm/initApplication.asp?lJobID=500899&sLanguage=en-us&sSourcePointer=eb&lJobSourceTypeID=843
Welcome Message From the Chair
On behalf of the Department of Statistics and Biostatistics here at CSU East Bay, I am writing this welcome message for any prospective student interested in a Statistics major, minor, or graduate degree. Our department is comprised of engaged faculty who strive for excellence in both teaching and research. Our programs are designed for a diverse student population with a diverse set of goals, whether it be to join the workforce or continue their education at the graduate level. We are excited to offer concentrations in Data Science in our newly redesigned undergraduate and graduate programs.
Dr. Ayona Chatterjee
Associate Professor & Chair
Founded in 1964, the Department of Statistics and Biostatistics has offered applied statistics and computing to our students for 7 decades. CSU East Bay is one of the most diverse universities in the United States. We have valued and admitted students with diverse backgrounds. We have also admitted many students transitioning into Statistics and Data Analysis careers. Our Department has always been at the forefront of software and computational methods for Data Analysis.
DATA AND SOFTWARE
- Open Source/Free Software Focus: R, RStudio, RStudio Cloud, R Notebooks, Markdown, SQL, Python, Julia, Jupyter Notebooks, Git and GitHub, Tableau, LibreOffice, Knime, Google CoLab, Google CoLab R
- Commercial Software Friendly: Microsoft Office Word, Excel (learn to sort, fliter, product pivot tables), PowerPoint, SAS, Mintab, SPSS (The university has licenses for the full versions of SAS and Minitab that permit student use on their own computers.)
- Open Data Focus: kaggle, data.world, DataSF, lyft BayWheels, Chicago Data Portal, NHANES, Airline On-Time Statistics
- OS: Windows, macOS, ask about Linux, BSD, and cloud computing
FREE LEARNING MATERIALS USED IN SOME CLASSES
Our library has many of the books we use in classes and as references available online.
- As a student you will have access to O'Reiley Safari books and Packt books. Both are available through the CSU East Bay Library Database A-Z.
- We also use online books from Bookdown, LeanPub, otexts, and LibreText. And papers available from many sources, such as jstor, arxiv, PeerJ.
- Students also have access to LinkedIn Learning.
- California State University, East Bay
- 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd
- North Science 229
- Hayward, CA 94542
- Phone: (510) 885-3435
- Fax: (510) 885-4714
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org