- About Us
- Sustainability in Academics
- Student Engagement
- Campus Operations
Air & Climate
CSUEB is making a commitment to climate neutrality and signed the Carbon Commitment (formerly the American College and University President’s Climate Commitment (or ACUPCC). The Carbon Commitment dedicates California State University, East Bay to fulfill the following steps in pursuit of climate neutrality:
The development of a comprehensive plan to achieve climate neutrality as soon as possible.
Creation of institutional structures to guide the development and implementation of the plan.
Completion of a comprehensive inventory of all greenhouse gas emissions, including emissions from electricity, heating, commuting, and air travel.
Development of an institutional action plan for becoming climate neutral, which will include:
- A target date for achieving climate neutrality as soon as possible.
- Interim targets for goals and actions that will lead to climate neutrality.
- Actions to make climate neutrality and sustainability a part of the curriculum and other educational experience for all students.
- Actions to expand research or other efforts necessary to achieve climate neutrality.
- Mechanisms for tracking progress on goals and actions.
Initiate two or more tangible actions to reduce greenhouse gases:
- Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
- Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
- Establish a policy of offsetting all greenhouse gas emissions generated by air travel paid for by our institution.
- Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
- Within one year of signing this document, begin purchasing or producing at least 15% of our institution’s electricity consumption from renewable sources.
- Establish a policy or a committee that supports climate and sustainability shareholder proposals at companies where our institution’s endowment is invested.
- Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.