Math Proficiency Assessment is for students who intend to enroll in MATH 120* (Pre-calculus), MATH 130 (Calculus I) or MATH 180 (Mathematics for Business with Calculus). See your Math and Statistics Pathways.
Eligibility: Fulfilled or ready for GE math courses.
For questions about eligibility, please contact an advisor.
NOTE: The Math Proficiency Assessment is not transferable to another university or college.
- Students who have a score of 600 or higher in the mathematics section of the SAT I Test OR a score of 26 or higher on the American College Testing (ACT) Mathematics Test are eligible to enroll directly in MATH 120, MATH 130 OR MATH 180.
- Students who have received a score of 3 or higher on the AB Advanced Placement Calculus exam are eligible to enroll directly in MATH 131 (Calculus II).
- If you are not sure what math class you need to take, consult an advisor or the degree plan for your intended major.
Math Proficiency Assessment Scores:
- A score of 78 or higher qualifies you to enroll in MATH 130 (Calculus I).
- A score of 63 or higher qualifies you to enroll in MATH 120* (Pre-calculus) or MATH 180 (Mathematics for Business with Calculus).
Your score is valid for one year from the test date. If you take your 3rd and/or 5th Placement Assessment outside of the CSUEB Testing Office, your placement score will not be valid.
Procedure to complete the CSUEB Math Proficiency Assessment:
- Go to Aleks and follow the steps to create an ALEKS account. You need your CSUEB Net ID and Horizon email address in order to register. (If you think that you might need Alternative Accommodations, please contact ‘Accessibility Services’ and 'Testing Office' before creating an ALEKS account).
There is no charge/fee to you for the six-month period. You will have unlimited use of the learning modules during your six-month license and the ability to take up to 5 assessments. For general information about ALEKS PPL, go to Aleks highered math.
- You must complete Assessments 1 and 2 on your own. ALEKS PPL will display a chart showing your strengths and weaknesses. These Assessments do not satisfy the placement requirement, regardless of scores. Use the learning modules to strengthen your understanding of challenging topics.
- Assessment 3 must be proctored through the Testing Office. The assessment is 2 hours and does not allow for the use of a calculator. Register for an exam date at CSUEB Online Test Registration. (There is a $25 proctor fee - Currently waived for limited time).
- ALEKS scoring: A minimum score of 63 allows for placement in MATH 120* (Pre-calculus) or MATH 180 (Mathematics for Business with Calculus); and a minimum score of 78 allows for placement in MATH 130 (Calculus I).
The ALEKS program will send scores directly to the Office of the Registrar. If you do not achieve the desired score, continue with the steps 5, 6 and 7.
- Take Assessment 4 on your own. Use the learning modules as needed. This Assessment does not satisfy the placement requirement, regardless of score.
- If needed, Assessment 5 must be proctored through the CSUEB Testing Office. The assessment is 2 hours and does not allow for the use of a calculator. Register for an exam date at CSUEB Online Test Registration. (There is a $25 proctor fee - Currently waived for limited time).
- If you do not achieve a minimum score of 63, you will be required to enroll in MATH 115 (College Algebra), and complete the class with a grade of "C-" or better, prior to enrolling in MATH 120 or MATH 180.
It is strongly recommended that you complete the CSUEB Math Proficiency Assessment prior to your attendance at the Orientation.
Deadline to complete the CSUEB Math Proficiency Assessment
- Spring 2020: December 15, 2019
- Summer 2020: April 15, 2020
- Fall 2020: August 14, 2020
- Come prepared to take Placement Assessment 3 and/or 5. You must complete Placement Assessment 1, 2 and/or 4 and learning preparation on your own.
- There will be no extra time provided to complete the above on the day of the test and will result in the forfeiture of the ‘Test Registration Proctor Fee’.
- Must read ‘On the Day of the Test’ information before exam day.
*Without Math 121 (Pre-Calculus Fundamentals)