Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Legislation and Policies

Assembly Bills – AB 540 and AB 2000

Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540), passed in 2001, and Assembly Bill 2000 (AB 2000), passed in 2014, together permit exemption from paying non-resident tuition fees for certain eligible California high school graduates

To qualify for in-state tuition fees under these bills students must meet the eligibility requirements for this program. Applicants must submit an AB 540/AB 2000 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) to the Office of Admission. AB 540/AB 2000 does not grant residency status; rather, it exempts/waives you from paying non-resident tuition fees. You will continue to be classified as a non-resident.

AB 540/AB 2000 Requirements

To be eligible, a student must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. The student must have:
    1. Attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years, or
    2. Attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years AND
  2. The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term. For example: the student must have passed the General Education Diploma (GED) or California High School Proficiency exam) AND
  3. The student must file an AB540 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) with the university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so. Complete and submit the affidavit to the Office of Admission.
  4. You must have registered or currently be enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California.
  5. You may not be a non-immigrant holding a valid lettered non-immigrant visa.

For information about how and when to submit the AB 540 affidavit, contact the Office of Admission at

The California Dream Act

The California Dream Act is made up of two California Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131. Both pieces of legislation enable students who qualify for AB540/AB2000 to be eligible for certain types of state financial aid. Together, these bills mean that AB 540/AB2000 students may be eligible for CSU scholarships and grants, Cal Grants, Chafee Foster Youth Grants and other state financial aid. Apply by submitting a California Dream Application each year

To apply for the programs available under AB131 you will use the Dream Application. The Dream Application will collect basic personal and income information to determine student eligibility for funding under AB131.  Priority deadline to submit is March 2nd each year.

Students will need to complete the Dream Application every year to determine continuing eligibility for state and institutional aid. Students should complete and submit to Cal State East Bay the AB540 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) in order to begin a review of your eligibility.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

DACA is a program of the Department of Homeland Security that was created under President Obama. It temporarily suspends the deportation of some unauthorized individuals living in the United States. DACA was announced on June 15, 2012. Students who are granted DACA status may be employed legally in the US for up to two years (if they demonstrate “an economic necessity for employment”). If a student receives a work authorization permit through DACA, they will also receive a temporary Social Security Number for work purposes.

If you are thinking about applying for DACA, make sure to get the information you need before submitting an application to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (  If you have additional questions, send an e-mail to:

Please note: DACA has no effect on eligibility for AB 540 classification or financial aid.

Advance Parole

Advance Parole is a travel document that some individuals can apply for while in the United States before traveling, that gives qualified individuals advance permission to enter back into the United States 

  • Individuals cannot apply for Advance Parole document unless they are approved for Deferred Action for Early Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACAmented individuals can apply from within the US to travel abroad for certain purposes: 

  • Humanitarian examples: visiting sick relatives, funeral services, medical assistance, urgent family related purposes
  • Educational examples: Study Abroad programs through the campus, academic research
  • Employment purposes: Meeting, conferences, training, interviews, overseas assignments

For more information visit US Citizenship and Immigration Services website to find the Application for Travel Document.

Learn about recent changes affecting DACA application and renewal, and advance parole.
© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.