Articulation is the process that links two educational institutions to help students make a smooth transition from the Community College to the college or university without experiencing a delay or duplication of coursework. Courses at the Community College are identified as equivalent to courses at the university. This allows students to fulfill a university requirement by taking an identified equivalent course (articulated course) at the Community College. This equivalency, or articulation, can be done course-to-course, for major requirements and/or for general education requirements. In some cases, courses are only articulated (identified) as elective courses. This means that though the units will transfer, the course does not fulfill any of the above listed requirements.

Articulation Agreements and Course Equivalencies


Current articulation agreements with ALL other colleges, universities, and programs: public. private, domestic (in and out of California) as well as international universities; are maintained in the Transfer Equivalency System (TES).

CSUEB uses TES to process equivalency reviews and is the official database for all transfer courses.

Students who have courses not listed in TES and believe that they may apply to their Business or Economics major requirements should contact the CBE Office of Undergraduate Advising. The advisors can request course reviews through TES as well as to research past equivalencies that may be currently out of date but were active at the time the course was taken. 



Articulation agreements with California's community colleges and public four-year institutions are also maintained in ASSIST, a public database that displays how lower division course units can be applied after transfer. Please note: Agreements are being updated, advisors, faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to use TES.

CBE Policy on Course Transfers

Expiration of Courses

Upper division major/concentration requirement courses will expire ten years after completion of the term in which they are earned. However, if a student has been continuously enrolled at Cal State East Bay since the courses were taken, they will not expire. If a student receives transfer credit for a course before it is ten year old and maintains enrollment, the course will not expire. Expired courses cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements and must be replaced by current credits. Requests for waivers of the ten-year limit for extenuating circumstances, other than mere failure to register, are made to the department chair in which the course resides and the director of undergraduate programs.

Transfer of Courses

Upper division courses will only be considered for equivalency or transfer credit if they are from AACSB accredited institutions. Exceptions will be made for programs that have current and signed agreements with the College of Business and Economics.