The mission of the CSSJ is to promote inclusion and social justice in sport and physical activity through community engagement and scholarly activities.
The CSSJ recognizes the significant cultural impact of sport, and values the transformative potential of sport and physical activity experiences across the lifespan. We study issues related to social inequality and imagine new possibilities for sport to effect change in society and on the fields of play. We connect people and communities through actively partnering with sport organizations, engaging the public, and galvanizing students and youth.
- Partner and elevate with community groups and organizations that share the Center’s values of inclusivity and social justice
- Serve as a resource/hub for community groups and organizations
- Engage students in community outreach and research projects of the Center
- Invite academic, activist, and community speakers to campus
- Maintain dedicated programming on the process and quality of youth sport experiences
- Host annual Speaker Series free and open to campus and community
- Maintain our valued Bay Area partnerships with Women Sports Film Festival, Soccer without Borders, and Skate Like a Girl
Want to get involved? Check our Events page to find out about upcoming CSSJ activities or contact us for more information.