Policy Regarding the Use of Campus Telephones

The following prohibitions and considerations regarding telephone use are excerpted from the State Telecommunications Management Manual and represent official statewide and campus policy.


Personal long distance calls will not be made from State telephones unless arrangements are made with the long distance operator to have the call billed to the caller's personal credit card number or placed as a "collect" call. (For procedure see section "Telephone Instructions".)

For purposes of this section "long distance" - in addition to its usual meaning - includes all calls involving one or more message units. All calls from this campus are billed by zones 1, 2 or 3 (message units), and the University is charged for each call.


  1. Pay telephones are generally available for personal use by State employees.
  2. Most personal calls (with the exception of emergency calls) can be made during break or at lunchtime.

California State University, East Bay has established the following procedures to be followed for on-campus payment for emergency calls made at state expense:

  1. Cost of calls - All long distance and measured minute calls are listed separately on your telephone bill.
  2. Callers should present payment at the Cashier's Office, first floor, Warren Hall. The cashier will give you a receipt. Present the receipt to the supervisor charged with departmental telephone accountability.
  3. Third Party Calls - Employees are reminded that third party calls are prohibited. Please refrain from making calls from an outside phone (i.e. pay phone) to another number and charging the call to a campus number. The proper procedure to follow, if such a call is absolutely necessary, is to charge the call to your home phone number. Information for reimbursement of such calls may be obtained from the Telecommunications Office, extension 57483.

Be sure of the number before you dial

To call another campus office

  • Listen for dial tone
  • Dial the 5 digit extension number
To place local calls
  • Area Code 510 - Listen for dial tone
  • Dial 9 + 7 digit public number
To place long distance calls
  • All Area Codes except 510 - Listen for dial tone
  • Dial 9 + 1 + Area Code + 7 digit public number
To place a calling card call
  • Dial 9 + follow instructions on Calling Card
To place international calls
  • Dial 9-011 + country code + city code + local telephone number
  • For assistance on country and city codes, call operator at 9-00.

Transfer, Consultation and Three-Way Calling

The transfer of calls to other extensions on campus, consultation with another extension or outside person while excluding the original caller and three-way calling are possible from most extensions on campus. To determine the procedure, consult the guide for your specific telephone or call the Telecommunications Office at extension 57483.

Directory Assistance

SBC and long distance telephone companies charge for directory assistance calls. The charge for calls to 411 and area code + 555-1212 assistance will range from $.25 to $1.95, or more, depending on which carrier you have to go through. In order to keep telephone costs down, please use your directory whenever possible.

Toll-Free Numbers

Please note that many organizations have toll-free 800 numbers. To determine whether a particular company or college has such a number, you may wish to call the toll-free information operator at (800) 555-1212. Use of toll-free numbers also helps in the effort to contain rising campus communications expenditures.

The  Requests for new or modified telephone service should be made by the director of each department and/or the department chairperson, via the Dean of each School and then to the Telecommunications Office, WA 408. This request must be in writing and must include complete justification. Departments will normally be required to cover the entire cost of new or modified service and will often be required to cover ongoing costs for specialized service such as voice mail.
Report all cases of phone trouble to the Telecommunications Office, extension 57483, or email: Telephonehelp@csueastbay.edu. When you submit a trouble report, please provide your name, extension number, location and nature of the problem.