Policy Regarding the Use of Campus Telephones
The following prohibitions and considerations regarding telephone use are excerpted from the State Telecommunications Management Manual and represent official statewide and campus policy.
Personal long distance calls will not be made from State telephones unless arrangements are made with the long distance operator to have the call billed to the caller's personal credit card number or placed as a "collect" call. (For procedure see section "Telephone Instructions".)
For purposes of this section "long distance" - in addition to its usual meaning - includes all calls involving one or more message units. All calls from this campus are billed by zones 1, 2 or 3 (message units), and the University is charged for each call.
- Pay telephones are generally available for personal use by State employees.
- Most personal calls (with the exception of emergency calls) can be made during break or at lunchtime.
California State University, East Bay has established the following procedures to be followed for on-campus payment for emergency calls made at state expense:
- Cost of calls - All long distance and measured minute calls are listed separately on your telephone bill.
- Callers should present payment at the Cashier's Office, first floor, Warren Hall. The cashier will give you a receipt. Present the receipt to the supervisor charged with departmental telephone accountability.
- Third Party Calls - Employees are reminded that third party calls are prohibited. Please refrain from making calls from an outside phone (i.e. pay phone) to another number and charging the call to a campus number. The proper procedure to follow, if such a call is absolutely necessary, is to charge the call to your home phone number. Information for reimbursement of such calls may be obtained from the Telecommunications Office, extension 57483.
Be sure of the number before you dial
To call another campus office
- Listen for dial tone
- Dial the 5 digit extension number
- Area Code 510 - Listen for dial tone
- Dial 9 + 7 digit public number
- All Area Codes except 510 - Listen for dial tone
- Dial 9 + 1 + Area Code + 7 digit public number
- Dial 9 + follow instructions on Calling Card
- Dial 9-011 + country code + city code + local telephone number
- For assistance on country and city codes, call operator at 9-00.
Transfer, Consultation and Three-Way Calling
The transfer of calls to other extensions on campus, consultation with another extension or outside person while excluding the original caller and three-way calling are possible from most extensions on campus. To determine the procedure, consult the guide for your specific telephone or call the Telecommunications Office at extension 57483.
SBC and long distance telephone companies charge for directory assistance calls. The charge for calls to 411 and area code + 555-1212 assistance will range from $.25 to $1.95, or more, depending on which carrier you have to go through. In order to keep telephone costs down, please use your directory whenever possible.
Please note that many organizations have toll-free 800 numbers. To determine whether a particular company or college has such a number, you may wish to call the toll-free information operator at (800) 555-1212. Use of toll-free numbers also helps in the effort to contain rising campus communications expenditures.