- Campus Directories
- Find People
- Administrative Divisions & Departments
- A-Z Index
- Colleges & Departments
- Faculty Profiles
- Emergency Numbers
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE/OFF-CAMPUS CRISIS REFERRAL
- POLICY REGARDING THE USE OF CAMPUS TELEPHONES
Alina Engelman, DrPH, MPH Faculty Profile
Dr. Engelman received her Doctor of Public Health degree (DrPH) at UC Berkeley, her MPH in Global Health at Yale University and her BA at Brown University. She is a member of the Community Health Commission for the City of Berkeley. Her areas of interest include global health, disability-related health disparities, food security and emergency preparedness communication.
To make an appointment for office hours, use this link: Office Hours
- DrPH, University of California at Berkeley
- MPH, Global Health, Yale University
- BA, Brown University
|Course #||Sec||Course Title||Days||From||To||Location||Campus|
|PH 330||01||Epidemiology||TU||10:00AM||11:40AM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 330||02||Epidemiology||W||10:00AM||11:40AM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 330||03||Epidemiology||TH||3:15PM||4:55PM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 440||01||Global Health and Disability||TH||1:15PM||2:30PM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
- Engelman, A., Paludneviciene, R., Wagner, K., Jacobs, K., & Kushalnagar, P. (2021). Food Worry in the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Population During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Public Health Reports.
- Engelman, A. and Kushalnagar, P. (2021) “Food Insecurity, Chronic Disease, and Quality of Life among Deaf Adults who use American Sign Language.” Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 16(2): 1-10.
- Ammons, D., Engelman, A., Kushalnagar, P. (2020) “Quality of Life and Needs of Deaf Caregivers of Loved Ones with Alzheimer’s and Related Dementia (ADRD).” Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. Vol 6, 1-6.
- Kushalnagar, P., Engelman, A., Simons, A. “Deaf Women's Health: Adherence to Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Recommendations.” American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 2019; 57(3): 346-354.
- Engelman, A., Valderama-Wallace, C., Nouredini, S. “State of the Profession: The Landscape of Disability Justice, Health Inequities and Access for Patients with Disabilities.” Journal of Advances in Nursing Science. 42(3) July/September 2019
- Engelman, A., Case, B., Meeks, L., & Fetters, M. D. (2019). Conducting health policy analysis in primary care research: turning clinical ideas into action. Family Medicine and Community Health, 7(2).
- Khosla, N., Gamba, R, Taylor, S., Adediji, L, Bovey, J, Engelman, A., Jones-Bey, A, Kwan Lam, T, Vo, H, Washington, V, Inch, E. “Academic goals of college students experiencing food insecurity, housing instability, and other financial challenges in a diverse public university.” Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless. (2019)
- Kushalnagar, P. and Engelman, A., Sadler G. (2018) “Deaf patient-provider communication and lung cancer screening: Health Information National Trends survey in American Sign Language (HINTS-ASL)” Patient Education and Counseling. 2018; 101(7): 1232-1239.
- Meeks, L., Engelman. A., Booth, A. et al. (2018) “Deaf and Hard of Hearing Learners in Emergency Medicine: A Case Study” West J Emerg Med. 2018; 9(6): 1014-1018
- Keogh, B., Kushalnagar, P., Engelman, A. (2018) “Food Security and Peer Support in Deaf College Students.” Journal of American College Health.
- Engelman, A., “(Im)Mobilities: HIV/AIDS and VCT Services for Deaf Kenyans” Healthcare in motion: Mobility forms in health service delivery and access. Eds: Vindrola-Padros, Cecilia, Pfister, Anne, and Johnson, Ginger. Berghahn Books, 2018.
- Engelman, A., Deardorff, J. (2016) “Cultural Competence Training for Law Enforcement Responding to Domestic Violence Emergencies with the Deaf.” Journal of Health Promotion Practice. March 2016; 17(2): 177-185.
- Ivey, S; Dahrouge, D; Tseng, W; Engelman, A; Neuhauser, L.; Huang D; Gurung S. (2014) "Assessment of State- and Territorial-Level Preparedness Capacity for Serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing Populations in Disasters." Public Health Reports Mar/April 2014; 129(2):148-55.
- Engelman, A; Ivey, S; Tseng, W; Dahrouge, D; Brune, J; Neuhauser, L. (2013) "Responding to the Deaf in Disasters: Establishing the Need for Systematic Training for State-Level Emergency Management Agencies and Community Organizations.” BMC Health Services Research. 13:84