- Campus Directories
- Find People
- Administrative Divisions & Departments
- A-Z Index
- Colleges & Departments
- Faculty Profiles
- Emergency Numbers
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE/OFF-CAMPUS CRISIS REFERRAL
- POLICY REGARDING THE USE OF CAMPUS TELEPHONES
Alina Engelman, DrPH, MPH Faculty Profile
Dr. Engelman received her Doctor of Public Health degree (DrPH) at UC Berkeley, her MPH in Global Health at Yale University and her BA at Brown University. She serves on the Board of the Alliance for Disability in Health Care Education and was a member of the Community Health Commission for the City of Berkeley. Her areas of interest include global health, disability-related health disparities and emergency preparedness communication. Her teaching includes courses in global disability health, epidemiology, health disparities and program evaluation.
Dr. Engelman was the recipient of the 2023 Disability and Disasters Award from the Natural Hazards Center at the University of Colorado.
Her scholarly work focuses on health disparities for the deaf and disabled. For example, exploring global disability justice and the emergency preparedness and response role of community-based organizations serving older adults and people with disabilities in Puerto Rico. Other research in conjunction with the Gallaudet Center on Deaf Health Equity on COVID-19 and food insecurity in the deaf community was tweeted by the CDC as part of its daily credible health and safety updates.
- DrPH, University of California at Berkeley
- MPH, Global Health, Yale University
- BA, Brown University
|Course #||Sec||Course Title||Days||From||To||Location||Campus|
|PH 330||01||Epidemiology||M||10:00AM||11:40AM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 330||02||Epidemiology||M||12:00PM||1:40PM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 330||03||Epidemiology||TU||1:15PM||2:55PM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
|PH 375||01||Prog Planning and Evaluation||TU||11:00AM||12:15PM||AE-0142||Hayward Campus|
- Guzzardo, M., Engelman, A., Todorova, I., Polidoro-Lima, M, Dean-Olmsted, E., Guzzardo-Tamargo, R. "Everything has changed": Functionally diverse older adults’ experiences with Hurricane María in Puerto Rico.” (2023) International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction Vol. 97, Oct. 2023
- Engelman, A., Craig, L., Iles, A. “Global Disability Justice In Climate Emergencies: Mobilizing People With Disabilities as Agents of Change." Health Affairs (2022) Special Issue on Disability and Health 41(10): 1496–1504.
- Kushalnagar, P., Ammons, D., Engelman, A., Hanumantha, S., Wilson, J. “’Left behind and ignored’: Recommendations for Policy Makers and Advocates to Increase Awareness and Accessibility of Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias Resources in the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Community.” Public Health Reports (2023).
- Engelman, A., Guzzardo, M., Antolin-Muniz, M., Arenas, L., Gomez, A. “Assessing the Emergency Response Capacity of Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) Serving People with Disabilities and Older Adults in Puerto Rico Post-Hurricane María and post-COVID19 pandemic.” (2022) International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health as part of the special issue "Addressing Disability Inequities: Environments, Society and Wellbeing." 19(4),2156.
- Engelman, A., Paludneviciene, R., Wagner, K., Jacobs, K., & Kushalnagar, P. (2021). Food Worry in the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Population During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Public Health Reports.
- Engelman, A. and Kushalnagar, P. (2021) “Food Insecurity, Chronic Disease, and Quality of Life among Deaf Adults who use American Sign Language.” Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 16(2): 1-10.
- Ammons, D., Engelman, A., Kushalnagar, P. (2020) “Quality of Life and Needs of Deaf Caregivers of Loved Ones with Alzheimer’s and Related Dementia (ADRD).” Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. Vol 6, 1-6.
- Kushalnagar, P., Engelman, A., Simons, A. “Deaf Women's Health: Adherence to Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Recommendations.” American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 2019; 57(3): 346-354.
- Engelman, A., Valderama-Wallace, C., Nouredini, S. “State of the Profession: The Landscape of Disability Justice, Health Inequities and Access for Patients with Disabilities.” Journal of Advances in Nursing Science. 42(3) July/September 2019
- Engelman, A., Case, B., Meeks, L., & Fetters, M. D. (2019). Conducting health policy analysis in primary care research: turning clinical ideas into action. Family Medicine and Community Health, 7(2).
- Khosla, N., Gamba, R, Taylor, S., Adediji, L, Bovey, J, Engelman, A., Jones-Bey, A, Kwan Lam, T, Vo, H, Washington, V, Inch, E. “Academic goals of college students experiencing food insecurity, housing instability, and other financial challenges in a diverse public university.” Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless. (2019)
- Kushalnagar, P. and Engelman, A., Sadler G. (2018) “Deaf patient-provider communication and lung cancer screening: Health Information National Trends survey in American Sign Language (HINTS-ASL)” Patient Education and Counseling. 2018; 101(7): 1232-1239.
- Meeks, L., Engelman. A., Booth, A. et al. (2018) “Deaf and Hard of Hearing Learners in Emergency Medicine: A Case Study” West J Emerg Med. 2018; 9(6): 1014-1018
- Keogh, B., Kushalnagar, P., Engelman, A. (2018) “Food Security and Peer Support in Deaf College Students.” Journal of American College Health.
- Engelman, A., “(Im)Mobilities: HIV/AIDS and VCT Services for Deaf Kenyans” Healthcare in motion: Mobility forms in health service delivery and access. Eds: Vindrola-Padros, Cecilia, Pfister, Anne, and Johnson, Ginger. Berghahn Books, 2018.
- Engelman, A., Deardorff, J. (2016) “Cultural Competence Training for Law Enforcement Responding to Domestic Violence Emergencies with the Deaf.” Journal of Health Promotion Practice. March 2016; 17(2): 177-185.
- Ivey, S; Dahrouge, D; Tseng, W; Engelman, A; Neuhauser, L.; Huang D; Gurung S. (2014) "Assessment of State- and Territorial-Level Preparedness Capacity for Serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing Populations in Disasters." Public Health Reports Mar/April 2014; 129(2):148-55.
- Engelman, A; Ivey, S; Tseng, W; Dahrouge, D; Brune, J; Neuhauser, L. (2013) "Responding to the Deaf in Disasters: Establishing the Need for Systematic Training for State-Level Emergency Management Agencies and Community Organizations.” BMC Health Services Research. 13:84