International Field Work

GLST requires that every major obtain some "real life" experience before completing the degree. Students may fulfill this requirement through study abroad or an internship or both.

Study Abroad

U.S. educated students are encouraged to participate in a study abroad program. International students may also participate in study abroad.  The CSU maintains a variety of semester and year-long programs in countries around the world.  In addition, CSUEB students may receive credit for any accredited study abroad program. For information on studying and working abroad see California State University International Programs website and the Council on International Education Exchange.  For detailed application information and deadlines on all study abroad programs, please visit the Center for International Education LI 2550 (510) 885-2550  All foreign coursework must be preapproved by a GLST academic advisor.


International students and others who chose not to go abroad select from a variety of paid and unpaid Bay Area internships with an international orientation. Students work with non-profit humanitarian, human rights, trade, educational, and environmental organizations or with companies engaged in international operations. Assistance in finding internships is through the Office of Cooperative Education and the International Studies Program. The GLST Program maintains a large listing of Bay Area non-profit internships. With approval, students may also find their own local or international internships.