Applying for Graduation


This information is for students in the MS in eLearning program only. If you are not a student in the program and have questions about your graduation, please contact your major department.

We cannot reply to your email if you are a student in a different program. 

All students must apply for graduation for their degree to be awarded and posted on the transcript and for the diploma to be mailed to them.  Even if you completed all your degree requirements, your degree will not be awarded if you did not apply for graduation. Students are required to file one term prior to their completion term.  Even if students do not plan on attending Commencement, they must still apply for graduation.  Refer to the FAQ section below. 

Please make sure to notify our office once you’ve filed for graduation. Otherwise, your graduation candidacy may be canceled.

Graduation Application Deadlines
Summer/Fall Semester   apply by March 1

late application* -

Summer/Fall Semester 

apply by April 1
Spring Semester   apply by October 1

late application for 

Spring graduation

apply by November 1

*Students who submit a late Summer graduation application will have their name appear in this year's printed commencement program.  Students who apply for Fall graduation will have their name appear in the Commencement program for next year.

How To Apply For Graduation

Log in to MyCSUEB using your NetID & password.

Under Student Center, select the Apply for Graduation link and follow the prompts to select the degree and term for your graduation.

Pay your graduation filing fee 

After you apply for graduation, the graduation filing fee will be applied to your student account. It may take up to a week for the filing fee to show up on your record. Check your account for the graduation filing fee and pay for it (and any outstanding balance) as soon as you can. If the fee goes unpaid, a hold will eventually be placed on your record and your diploma will not be sent to you.

You can pay your fee via the CSUEB Web Payment Portal.

Read the information posted on this page if you prefer a different payment method: Payment Methods

If you need assistance on how to use the CSUEB Web Payment Portal, refer to the section How to Pay Your Fees on the page Information About Paying Fees.  Included in the section is a video on how to make an online payment.


You MUST email the eLearning program office (only if you are a MS-OTL / MS eLearning student).

Once you have filed for graduation AND paid the filing fee, please email us. (This requirement is for students in the MS-OTL / MS eLearning program only. If you belong to a different program or major, we cannot reply to your email or phone calls). This is the only way our office will be notified that you’ve filed for graduation. We will then initiate and complete the Major Check, which will be sent to the Graduation Evaluation office for further review.


If the evaluator is not notified, your graduation may be canceled (no refunds for the filing fee).

See more information on Filing for Graduation.

PLEASE READ: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

It is your responsibility to notify our department that you’ve filed for graduation. Our office will then begin the degree completion. If you do not notify the department that you have filed and paid for graduation candidacy, the paperwork required to initiate the "degree checkout" process may be delayed.   

Yes.  You must apply for graduation.  Your degree will not be awarded and you will not receive a diploma unless you apply for graduation.  

Participation in commencement ceremonies does not imply degree conferral.  No diplomas are granted during commencement.


Commencement refers to the ceremony, officiated by the President of the University, where you celebrate and share the excitement and importance of your academic accomplishments with peers, family, and friends. Cal State East Bay has only one commencement ceremony per year which is held in June.  

You will not receive a diploma at the commencement ceremony. Confirmation of degree completion will not occur until official grades are posted. 


Graduation indicates that degree requirements have been completed and your degree has been awarded and is recorded on your official transcript.


Yes, if you will be taking your final classes next term. Filing for graduation essentially closes your academic record and you cannot register for classes in future semesters. If you still need to take a course in a future term, you should wait for the next graduation filing period.

For example, if you apply for Spring Semester 2019 graduation but still need to take a class in Fall Semester 2019, you will not be able to register for classes.  Applying for graduation closes your academic record.

 Once you file for graduation, it is good for two consecutive terms. 

For example, if you filed for Spring Semester 2019,  it will be valid until Fall Semester 2019. Your graduation candidacy expires at the end of that Fall semesterOnce you've filed for graduation, you will not have to refile every term.  The only time you have to reapply for graduation is if you did not graduate within 2 consecutive terms of your graduation filing term.

Your degree will not be awarded that term. Instead, it will be awarded during the term you filed for graduation candidacy. It is the student’s responsibility to apply for graduation. The filing date is always during the prior term.

For example, if you finished all your courses in Fall Semester 2020 but applied for Spring Semester 2021 graduation, your degree will be posted at the end of Spring 2021 (not Fall).

NO. You must apply for graduation in order for your degree to be posted and diploma issued. Your degree will be posted in the term you applied for graduation and not when you finished your requirements (if those happen to be on different terms).  

The MS eLearning program is part of the College of Education & Allied Studies (CEAS) commencement.   

For the most up-to-date information on Commencement, go to the Commencement webpage.

Please fill out the Name Change Form. Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address. If you need to change your address, log into MyCSUEB. Get More Information about Diplomas.  You must change your name before you apply for graduation.

Log into MyCSUEB and select the Graduation Status/Commencement link under the pull-down menu in your Student Center. Get More Information about your Graduation Status.

All emails from CSUEB (including when your graduation candidacy will expire) is sent to your Horizon email account. Please make sure to check that account or have it forwarded to an email account you check frequently. Our official policy is that students use their Horizon email account when emailing us.

Please contact only if you are a student in the MS-OTL / MS eLearning program. Otherwise, please contact your major department.  We cannot respond to emails from students who are not part of our program.