- College of Business & Economics
- About CBE
- Academic & Degree Programs
- CBE Departments
- Faculty and Staff
Delta Sigma Pi Zeta Tau Wins the 2020 Outstanding Service Award and the Outstanding Professional Activities Award
As originally founded, the chapter is not only dedicated to business, but also to academic studies, community service, social events, and other extracurricular activities that help students prosper as individuals. Back in the 1960s the brothers took part in quarterly luncheons, business symposiums and site visits to local businesses including the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank, The Charles Krug Winery and Hoefer, Diedrich and Brown Advertising Agency. They also participated in intramural sports - flag football, basketball, and softball. The team was called the “Hucksters,” a term that can be traced back to early advertising history, literature and the use of admen as scapegoats in pop culture. The team never came first but they never finished last either.
Though meetings are taking place online this year due to the pandemic, the Zeta Tau chapter continues to actively organize events, including an alumni panel, a workshop on time management and healthy work habits, and fun activities like Bingo and charades.
This year, they were the proud recipients of two regional awards:
- 2020 Outstanding Service Award
- 2020 Outstanding Professional Activities Award
Congratulations Zeta Tau!
Outstanding Service Award for a Collegiate Chapter
Zeta Tau wanted to focus on giving back to our community and help people in need. They participated in several community service and philanthropic events including blood drives, mental health workshops and many feel good activities. Here are some highlights:
- "Adopt-A-Block" – Zeta Tau teamed up with the City of Hayward to help clean up the city. They networked with the Hayward City Councilman Francisco Zermeno and learned about future community service events.
- “Out with the old for someone new!” – The chapter collected, organized and distributed clothing items to local Hayward shelters and organizations.
- Chapter members contributed either time or money to help support natural disaster relief efforts and families with sick children.
- Mental health workshop – In collaboration with one of Cal State East Bay’s wellness counselors, they taught stress relief mechanisms and provided a space for people to speak freely about their personal concerns the week before finals.
Outstanding Professional Activities Awards for a Collegiate Chapter
The chapter organized professional activities that focused on networking, professional development and investing.
- To help the Brothers understand the importance of building connections and reaching out to others, an alumni panel shared their experiences after graduation and gave helpful tips on landing a dream job.
- Zeta Tau also collaborated with Beta Gamma Sigma and the UP! Club, to help provide discounted professional headshots for students’ LinkedIn profiles.
- "Design Your Own Career Path" – Chapter Advisor Travis Nelson helped graduating brothers to visualize their career paths, find internships and use professional skills to help align them with a company of choice.
- Zeta Tau created the first professional development incentive program in conjunction with the Office of Career and Professional Development (OCPD) in which the top 10 students that completed the most courses through LinkedIn Learning would receive a personal invitation to meet alumni at LinkedIn HQ in San Francisco.
- Virtual Salesforce Tour – although they were unable to experience a tour of the Salesforce Tower, they had a virtual meeting which included information on internships available at the time.
- "Turning Your Old Money Into New Money" with Dr. Jagdish Agrawal. This event focused on the often overlooked topic of investing money at an early age and minimizing debt.
- "Investing Worldwide” taught the Brothers about investing in the foreign exchange market.
We want to hear from you
SHARE YOUR STORY
Do you have a story that demonstrates CBE’s tradition of transformation? Let us know.
SHARE YOUR THANKS
Did a professor, staff member, student or other community member help you finish college or clarify your goals? Share it.