Working with Our Students
The Center for Community Engagement creates and sustains partnerships with local and regional agencies for curricular and co-curricular engagement. These collaborative partnerships prepare our students to be engaged and productive members of society, who make civic-minded decisions and contribute innovative solutions that address the complex social, health, economic, scientific, and civic issues of our time.
There are many ways to engage with our campus community and to share your different types of opportunities with our students. Participation will vary based on student interest, requirements, and availability.
Become an Approved Community Partner
The Request to Initiate Partnership Form is the first step for an agency to become a contracted community partner.
This is a simple 2-step process. Once the Request to Initiate Partnership Form is completed and reviewed, we will send you a student placement agreement (MOU) for review and signature. When the agreement is approved, CCE staff use the site proposal to create the posting on our database, CalStateS4.
- Orienting students to the organization’s mission, goals, and structure.
- Provide an orientation that includes: site tour; staff introduction; description of risks/safety/emergency procedures associated with Site’s operations and/or clients; information on logging time/sign in-out.
- Provide tasks that are significant and/or relevant.
- Provide student with written description of tasks and responsibilities and appropriate training, materials and work areas.
- Ensure a safe work environment and reasonable hours for students to perform service.
- Meet with the student regularly to provide support, review progress on assigned tasks, verify service hours and give feedback.
- Know who the faculty are and what courses the students are in.
- Contact the CCE if the student fails to perform assigned tasks or engages in misconduct.
- Notify the CCE as soon as is reasonably possible of any injury or illness to a student.
Share Your Opportunities
If you are looking for volunteers for one day events, please email email@example.com with your event name, date and time, as well as include any flyers that you would like to share. Your one day volunteer event will be shared with our campus community through our social media channels and baysync.
Share your semester long opportunities with our service-learning/community-based learning courses on our student platform, CalstateS4. The opportunities form is linked below. You will need to submit multiple forms for the different opportunities that are available. When your opportunities are published on our student platform, this is the best way to promote your agency and ways to participate!
*In order to post your opportunities on our platform, you must be an approved partner organization with a valid student placement agreement. To check if your organization is an approved site, please click here and search for your agency name.