Master of Science in Quantitative Economics
Introducing Our New Program
Starting in Fall 2022, we are transitioning to a new STEM-certified degree, the MS in Quantitative Economics. This change reflects a transition to a more quantitative curriculum that aligns more closely with market trends.
The new program is ideal for students looking to increase their quantitative skills for jobs in economic consulting, data science, policy analysis, and finance, or for Ph.D. programs in economics. The program combines economic theory with cutting-edge training in econometrics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization, for analyzing real-world data.
Class sizes are small and are taught by our renowned faculty who do research in a wide variety of fields of economics. All classes are held at night starting at 6 PM for working students. The curriculum includes classes in econometrics, programming economic models in Python, microeconomic and macroeconomic theory, and applied data analysis. The program typically takes 2 years to complete but can be finished in 1-year at an accelerated pace.
Why Should You Get an M.S. in Quantitative Economics from Cal State East Bay?
- Prepare for the needs of the future economy right where it’s created – halfway between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, in the beautiful East Bay.
- Innovative program and outstanding faculty at low Cal State costs.
- Finish in as little as a year, or suit your personal timetable and work schedule.
- Non-economics majors are eligible for admission, no work experience is required.
- Designed to make advanced economics accessible and relevant.
- Overarching focus on application of analytical skills to informed decision making.
- Emphasis on empirical techniques and use of statistical software.
- Modern electives geared toward important current topics, taught by active researchers.
- A leading economics faculty in the CSU system, complemented by selected Bay Area professional economists.
- We do not offer the PhD: all our attention in graduate training is on a high-quality master’s.
- All classes are taught after 6 pm on weekdays to accommodate full-time work schedules.
- A close student-to-professor ratio.
- Accredited by AACSB, the most prestigious business school certification body.
- Testament to our reputation, our graduates have been accepted to highly competitive PhD programs (such as Wisconsin, UCSD, and Brown) with full funding.