Advanced Education and Training

The interdisciplinary approach of the Human Development and Women's Studies programs provide an excellent preparation for students interested in graduate study in a wide range of disciplines, including anthropology, education, teacher education, social work, sociology, medicine, public administration, law, criminal justice, linguistics, psychology, and counseling.


Students interested in working in early childhood settings, who have questions about obtaining a Child Development Permit in the state of California from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, can consult Dr. Christina Chin-Newman for advice.


Human Development alumni who want to teach in elementary school can go on to earn a multiple subjects teaching credential, while those planning to teach at the middle school or high school levels typically earn a single subject credential.  It usually takes one year to earn a teaching credential, and this includes time serving as a student teacher under the guidance of a mentor teacher.

Note that each state has its own requirements for credentialing teachers, so a teaching credential earned in California is only guaranteed to qualify you to teach in California.


Often, a fully credentialed teacher can spend one extra year to earn a master’s in education, because it usually takes two years to earn a master’s degree.  There are many types of master’s degrees, including specializations in such areas as Early Childhood Education, or Special Education.

Questions about the teaching credential or master’s degree programs at CSUEB can be directed to the Credential Student Service Center.

Behavior Analyst

Behavior Analyst is a behavioral health professional who works in clinical mental health settings. Some also work in school or corporate settings.  Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is a type of therapy that focuses on improving specific behaviors, including considerations of social, life functioning, and language skills. They help clients with overcoming problems, reducing stress and achieving personal goals. ABA has been found to be effective for individuals on the autism spectrum or who have other disabilities or challenges, including dementia and substance abuse.

The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) offers a technical certificate in behavior analysis.  The BACB certification means that candidates have satisfied minimal requirements in behavior analytic training.

Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCaBA) "is an undergraduate-level certification in behavior analysis. Professionals who are certified at the BCaBA level may not practice independently, but must be supervised by someone certified at the BCBA/BCBA-D level." A bachelor's degree is required.

Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) "is a paraprofessional who practices under the close, ongoing supervision of a BCBA [Board Certified Behavior Analyist], BCaBA [Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyist], or similar supervisor. The RBT is primarily responsible for the direct implementation of behavior-analytic services." A high school diploma is required.


Family Life Educator Certification

"Family life education focuses on healthy family functioning within a family systems perspective and provides a primarily preventive approach." The National Council on Family Relations provides more information on their website as well as the requirements for becoming a Certified Family Life Educator. "There are Family Life Educators working in health care settings, doing workshops and classes in hospitals, in community education, in faith communities, in junior and senior high schools, in colleges and universities, in social service agencies, in corporate settings, in government agencies, in corrections, in retirement communities and in the military."


Child Life Specialist Certification

Child life specialists work with children and families in hospitals to help them cope with the challenges of hospitalization, illness, and disability.  They help maage stress and trauma. Sometimes play therapy is used to relieve stress and teach coping mechanisms to grapple with illnesses and injuries. They also function on healthcare team to help make treatment plans for children. If you are interested in becoming certified as a Child Life Specialist, review the certification requirements described by the Association of Child Life Professionals.

Master's Degrees

Masters Degrees

Here we provide information about master's programs in Counseling, Social Work, Child Life Specialist training, Occupational Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology, or Recreation Therapy. 

Scroll down for information on Doctoral Degrees.

Counseling and Social Work

Generally two years of full-time study including internship hours in a counseling placement under a licensed supervisor.  Note that you still need to become licensed in order to practice.

In order to be admitted to a master's program in Counseling or Social Work, additional prerequisite coursework may need to be satisfied.


You can learn more about counseling-related professions through the American Counseling Association, the American School Counselor Association, and the National Association of School Psychologists.  In the state of California, practicing psychologists must be licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs).  School counselors and school psychologists work in educational settings, and in the state of California need to have obtained their Pupil Personnel Services Credential from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  The CSUEB Department of Educational Psychology offers the Master’s in Counseling degree.

Social Work

You can learn about the profession of social work from the National Association of Social Workers.  Social workers may be found working in many different settings, whether as employees of the county, schools, courts, hospitals, or non-profit organizations; they may do clinical work focused on improving the mental health of individuals or groups, or they may work as program administrators or policy advocates.  The CSUEB Department of Social Work offers the Master’s in Social Work degree (M.S.W.).

Other Careers Requiring Master's Degrees

Master’s degrees usually require two years of full-time study.  Additional prerequisite coursework beyond that required for a Human Development major may need to be satisfied, in order to be admitted to certain types of graduate programs.

A Child Life Specialist typically works with children in hospitals as a member of a medical team.  You can learn more about this career from the Association of Child Life Professionals.

Board Certified Behavior Analyst is an independent practitioner who provides behavior-analytic services, and is certified by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). You must have a master level degree to be a BCBA, and at least a Bachelor level degree for the BCaBA. 

An Occupational Therapist typically works one-on-one with people with disabilities.  You can learn more about this career from the American Occupational Therapy Association.

A Speech-Language Pathologist helps people with improving communication through speech and language.  They may specialize in working with children or adults. You can learn more about this career from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. You can learn more about Speech-Language Pathology at CSUEB at the website of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders.

A Recreation Therapist with a Master’s Degree is great preparation to both coordinate and direct an activities program. The M.A. in Recreation Therapy is about 45 units in course work (one year full time) and provides structured practical experiences in the community often leading to employment in the course of the degree.  The American Therapeutic Recreation Association has an online database of academic programs of study in recreation therapy. 

Doctoral Degrees

If you loved your Human Development classes, such as those related to research, and think you would enjoy teaching at the college level, then you may want to consider earning a master’s or doctorate in Human Development or a related field, such as Anthropology, Linguistics, Psychology, or Sociology.  A master’s degree will qualify you to teach at the community college level, while a doctorate will qualify you to teach at a four-year college or university. A master’s degree usually requires two years of full-time study, while a doctorate may take four years or longer. It is NOT necessary to earn a master’s degree prior to entering a doctoral program.  However, research experience is usually required for entrance into a doctoral program, and because it can be competitive to get in, it could help an applicant to have a master’s degree.

Keep in mind that some programs offer financial assistance in the form of teaching or research assistantships, which entail waiving your tuition, and paying you a modest stipend to teach or conduct research while advancing through your graduate program. Look for assistantship opportunities when searching for graduate programs!

Aside from a career in teaching in post-secondary education, obtaining a graduate degree in Human Development or related field can lead to a career in research in advanced-level positions.

If you’re interested in graduate study in Human Development, you may consult Dr. Keri O’Neal or Dr. Mariana Guzzardo for advice.

If you’re interested in graduate study in Gerontology, you may consult Dr. Xeno Rasmusson or Dr. Mariana Guzzardo for advice.

If you’re interested in graduate study in Anthropology, you may consult Dr. Steven Borish or Dr. Rachael Stryker for advice.

If you’re interested in graduate study in Psychology, you may consult Dr. Christina Chin-Newman, Dr. Jiansheng Guo, or Dr. Xeno Rasmusson for advice.

If you’re interested in graduate study in Sociology, you may consult Dr. Lynn Comerford or Dr. Patricia Drew for advice.