Student Advising Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Academic Advising: CSUEB offers some fantastic advising services to help you stay on track to meet your academic goals. In a slightly unique approach, the university employs a two-pronged approach to advising
    • If your questions relate to general university requirements (e.g., lower division courses, overlays, upper-division general education), you need to visit CLASS Undergraduate Advising
    • If your advising question is specific to your major concentration (e.g., courses to complete major concentration, courses for the minor, graduation audits, what to do after graduation), you should contact a Faculty Advisor.
      • Faculty advisors are Not advisors for counting units, please see CLASS Undergraduate Advising for general university requirements.
      • How do I choose my faculty advisor? Go to the following list and select a faculty member with expertise in your area of concentration: Faculty Profiles.
  • Who do I need to talk to for career advice? 
    • Academic Advising & Career Development AACE offers a number of career development services 
    • Whether your academic plans extend beyond your Bachelor’s degree or not, your Faculty Advisor can provide a wealth of information on what lies beyond your time at CSUEB. 

  • Your first stop in answering this question should be the HDEV/WOST department’s Program Description page. Here you can find the Department’s Degree Roadmap. Not only does it list all of the major concentration requirements, it also provides suggested 2- and 3-year course plans. 
  • To help you search the for available classes and get enrolled, the university provides some excellent step-by-step enrollment instructions to guide you through the process: How To Register For Classes.
  • Quickly access the Class Search to see what courses are currently available: MyCSUEB.
  • Make sure you don’t miss important deadlines for enrollment, dropping, withdrawing with and without approval, and graduation by keeping up with the CSUEB’s Important Dates.
  • Paying for college can be a challenge but remember the university has a number of ways to help! Be sure to visit CSUEB’s Financial Aid Office to explore your options: CSUEB Financial Aid.

The roadmap provides the requirements for the major: Human Development Degree Roadmap.

For their Senior Concentration courses, Human Development majors must choose from the following 5 Concentrations:

  • Early Childhood Development
  • Childhood Development
  • Adolescent Development
  • Adult Development and Gerontology
  • Women's Development

It is important for all students to consult a Human Development faculty advisor on their progress in the major and to help with course selection.

Degree Roadmap

Here is the link: Human Development Degree Roadmap.

You can also find this link under "Program Description."

A Minor in Human Development requires the completion of 16 units of 300 or 400 level courses with the prefix HDEV. Please note that if you declared the Minor in the quarter system you will need to consult a faculty advisor.


Students who have transitioned from the quarter system to the semester system do not follow the degree roadmap for semesters (shown above). Please consult a faculty advisor (Faculty Profiles) for advising on how to finalize your degree or minor.

You can find general information on the following page: Declaring or Changing Majors, Minors, or Options.

You can find the change of major/minor form at Student Records Forms. Click on "Change of Major/Minor/Concentration: (eForm on BaySync)"

You must get the required signatures, and submit to the corresponding office listed at the bottom of the form.

Yes, you can complete two concentrations! To do that you need to take 10-12 units in each concentration. Students may not double-count any courses toward two concentrations.

Please note that if you started the double concentration in the quarter system you will need to consult a faculty advisor.

  • Student Center for Academic Achievement (SCAA) info:
  • A word of caution regarding the recent proliferation of apps and AI technology that claim to provide real-time writing support: as exciting as some of these advances sound, we are currently recommending a cautious approach in the adoption of these technologies in favor of the human-to-human services currently available at CSUEB.
  • How can I connect with other Human Development majors?
    • Contact the Human Development Club through our social networking page: Connect-Follow-Like. The faculty advisor for the Club is Dr. Xeno Rasmusson.
  • How do I connect with campus-wide groups?
  • East Bay Cares is your one-stop shop to connect with CSUEB services and works hard to ensure a safe and supportive campus environment. 
    • Personal Support (e.g., counseling services, mental health crisis)
    • Basic Needs resources (e.g., food pantry, emergency bill pay) 
    • Academic Accommodations (e.g., Accessibility services)
    • Financial Aid Emergency
    • Confidential Campus Advocate (e.g., sexual assault, violence survivor support

I thought college was supposed to be a fun action packed adventure. How do I find out what is happening around the CSUEB campus? 

Check the University "Before Applying for Graduation" page. 

To determine your expected graduation date, meet with your major and academic advisors.  Remember that you must check with CLASS Undergraduate Advising for general education requirements.  Additionally, meet with other counselor that you may have worked with, such as someone who works with Project IMPACT, Project EXCEL, EOP, etc.)

To apply for graduation, log in to MyCSUEB with your NetID and password. Under “Student Center ,” select the “Apply for Graduation” link and follow the prompts to select the degree and term for your graduation. Remember to check Important Dates to view the deadlines to file for graduation.  After you apply for graduation, there is a graduation filing fee that will be applied to your student account.

If you have completed the requirements for a Minor, complete a Minor Check with your Minor Department.