Disqualification & Probation


What Does It Mean to be Academically Disqualified?

Undergraduate students on Academic Probation are subject to Academic Disqualification (DQ) when:

  • As a First-Year Freshman (fewer than 30 semester units of college work completed), the Fall or Spring term Grade Point Average (GPA) is below 1.50;
  • As a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior, the Fall or Spring semester term GPA is below 2.0.

Academic Disqualification indicates that students may not register for classes nor attend CSUEB as a regularly enrolled, matriculated student. The disqualified status will appear on a student's transcript, classes for the upcoming term will be dropped, and the student will no longer be enrolled at the University.

To better understand the process for reinstatement/readmission and options available, thoroughly read through the information provided. While one-on-one assistance can be requested, it is best to learn more and prepare in advance.

Reinstatement/Readmission After Academic Disqualification


To be reinstated following Academic Disqualification, students must improve their CSUEB and/or cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) to at least 2.0 by repeating courses for Grade Forgiveness via Open University at CSUEB or at another institution. Students are strongly encouraged to earn a minimum 2.5 GPA (B-/C+) in repeated courses, as this is the best strategy to improve the GPA.

It typically takes at least a semester, if not an entire year, to be considered for reinstatement. If a student is not enrolled at CSUEB for more than 2 consecutive semesters (ex. Spring + Fall; must enroll by the following Spring or be discontinued) - Summer is not included - they will also be required to reapply to the university through Cal State Apply. Enrollment via Open University does not apply.

Petitions for Reinstatement are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and require meeting the criteria detailed above.

Repeating Classes/Grade Forgiveness

Students may repeat courses wherein grades of "C-" or below were received; this includes "IC" (Incomplete Charged) or "WU" (Withdrawal Unauthorized), which are calculated in the GPA equivalent to grade of "F." If a higher grade is earned, the earlier attempt(s) will be ignored in the GPA calculation but not removed from the record. NC grades do not affect the GPA and, therefore, do not necessarily need to be repeated.

Grade Forgiveness is "the process that a matriculated (regularly enrolled) student seeking a Bachelor’s degree follows, under limited circumstances, to remove the punitive effect of past academic failures." However, students who have been disqualified will need to file a Petition for Grade Forgiveness for any repeated courses while not enrolled at the University, even if courses are repeated via Open University.

Students - both matriculated and disqualified students - are limited to 16 units of Grade Forgiveness and may repeat an additional 12 units for Grade Averaging. Students who repeat the maximum units allowable but still need to repeat additional courses may be able to petition. See a readmission counselor if applicable.

Open University/Community College Enrollment

Depending on the type and availability of courses, disqualified students may repeat courses a variety of ways. Lower division courses (100- and 200-level classes) may be repeated through Open University at CSUEB, but it may be more cost-effective and convenient to take an equivalent course at a local community college. Upper division courses (300- and 400-level classes), however, must be repeated via Open University at CSUEB or at another college/university that offers upper division-level courses.

To enroll via Open University, visit their website and click on Enrollment to submit an online application. Pay close attention to the enrollment process guidelines and Important Dates, too. For enrollment at a local community college or another college/university, check their websites to find out how to apply.

If courses are taken outside of CSUEB, students can use the Transfer Equivalency System, or TES, to check for course equivalency. Students can also check with a readmission counselor or academic department to ensure accuracy of course selection. Once all courses are repeated with grades posted, request to have an official transcript sent to CSUEB.

Petition for Reinstatement

Disqualified students who have improved their GPA to at least 2.0 by repeating courses at another college/university or through Open University at CSUEB may be ready to submit a Petition for Reinstatement Form. The deadline to submit the completed petition packet is April 1st for Fall Semester; October 1st for Spring Semester; and March 1st for Summer Term.

The petition must be accompanied by:

  • Personal Statement (describing reasons for requesting reinstatement)
  • Completed Petition for Grade Forgiveness Form (may list up to 3 courses per form)
  • Official Transcripts (from other college/university; not needed for Open University)

Students who have not been enrolled at CSUEB for more than two consecutive terms - Summer and Open University do not apply - must also reapply for admission to the University via Cal State Apply. Deadline to apply for Fall Semester is November 30th and for Spring Semester is August 31st.

For more detailed information, review Resources Available for Disqualified Students, below.

How can Grade Forgiveness be used for Lower Division Courses? Lower Division courses (100- and 200-level classes) may be repeated through Open University or with equivalent courses at a community college, but students should check equivalency with a readmission advisor and/or by researching TES. Upon completing the repeated courses, students should request a copy of the official transcript(s) with work completed and hand-carry it in a sealed envelope, along with the Petitions for Grade Forgiveness, to the first floor of the Student Services and Administration Building in Hayward or the Academic Services Building in Concord.

How can Grade Forgiveness be used for Upper Division Courses? Upper Division courses (300- and 400-level classes) may be repeated through Open University or at another CSU. For courses taken at another CSU, documented approval of the course(s) for equivalency must be obtained through the appropriate CSUEB academic department(s), along with a Petition for Grade Forgiveness.

How can grades and/or "incompletes" be changed for a course(s)? Students are encouraged to work with their professors to complete assignments in order to receive final grades. Each faculty member must submit a “Change of Grade” form to the Records office. Generally, the GPA will improve if grades of C+ or better are earned. Students with "I" - or incomplete - grades have only one calendar year to complete before it changes to "IC" or incomplete charged, which affects the GPA like an "F" grade.

How can course enrollment be retained for next semester? Students who are disqualified at the end of one semester will have their classes dropped for the upcoming semester - this includes Summer. Regular enrollment at CSUEB will not be allowed until reinstatement/readmission; however, enrollment via Open University is available.

How can Disqualification affect GE, major, and graduation requirements? While requirements for graduation will mostly likely remain the same, a student's priority should shift to improving the GPA instead of making additional progress towards graduation. It is best to focus on repeating courses for more immediate, positive effect on the GPA than taking classes to meet remaining requirements. Additionally, student records may not be fully accessible once a student is academically disqualified, and, therefore, academic and major advising may not be available.

How can Disqualification affect on-campus housing? Contact Student Housing immediately for more information or to complete a Request to Cancel form. On-campus housing space is reserved for regularly enrolled students at CSUEB, but students may be granted an exception to remain living on-campus while repeating courses at a local community college.

Directions for GPA Calculator:

  1. Enter classes on the grid for which C- or lower, including IC and WU, were earned
  2. Enter projected grades of C+ or better for planned/repeated attempt(s)
  3. Enter unit values for each class listed
  4. Refer to CSUEB transcript and enter Cumulative (total/overall) GPA and total units earned
  5. Click Calculate for updated GPA