Events and Continuing Education
Inaugural CSU Nursing JEDI Summit
Colleagues from 15 CSU campuses came together in person and virtually for the inaugural CSU Nursing Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Summit.
Below are photos and quotes as well as notes for next time. Stay tuned!
- "The keynote address was the perfect way to kick-off the experience. Thank you for the playlist-it helped during the breaks and in prepping for the summit. The variety of topics and the inclusion of work from students and graduates was empowering. The program and all the links is amazing."
- "Loved being able to gather in person and virtually. Very much appreciated the variety of speakers not only in identity, but also in career position from the students to the faculty and beyond - I think that was lovely."
- "The amount of information shared and the format provided for in depth reflection . Also the resources shared are immediately usable."
- "It was very informative on the topics covered"
Participants also suggested a variety of topics for the next gathering, including:
- Intersectional approaches
- How we evaluate students
- Culturally responsive teaching
- Strategies to change policy with accrediting bodies
- Structural competency
- JEDI and interdisciplinary collaborative work in various nursing roles
- LGBTQIA+ topics
- Faculty recruitment
We are building this work together - we hope you'll consider submitting an abstract and joining us for the next summit and efforts to bring about long-needed changes. Please keep the conversations going and stay tuned!
Get to Know the Nursing Student who Designed the Event Logo
Yeab Kebede is a Digital Media Artist with a focus on graphic design, 3D design, and video production. She is originally from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and currently resides in San Jose, CA. She is presently working towards her BFA in Digital Media Art with a minor in Human Rights at San Jose State University (graduating Fall of 2023) where she is also the President of ACM Siggraph SJSU Student Chapter, Creative Director for Black Honor Society, and founder of R.O.S.E (Revolutionaries Overpowering the System through Education). With substantial experience working with a diverse pool of clients in developing marketing material for departments, faculty, and staff at San Jose State University along with other freelance work, Kebede strives to maintain her playful, bold, and intricate designs while promoting individuality and culture through her work.
In addition, Kebede is a Graphic Designer for the MOSAIC Cross-Cultural Center, a centre that is dedicated to advocating for social justice issues and serves as a Coordinator for the Greene Scholars Program, a non-profit organization that helps youth of African ancestry in San Francisco Bay Area communities successfully complete higher education in science, technology, engineering and/or math (STEM). After graduating from SJSU, Kebede plans to pursue her graduate studies in art and education to one day open up her own STEM and art centred educational institute and become a pioneer in the art and academic/research world.
CONTINUING EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- For California Nurses, 5 Free CEUs
- The purpose of this training is to provide an overview of emergency management, the role of the nurse in a disaster shelter, as well as a refresher on health assessment and medication management