Internships are an effective way for you to gain work experience in your field of study before graduation. Studies show that 7 out of 10 internships may turn into full-time jobs. We ecourage all undergraduate and graduate students to complete at least 1 internship experience prior to graduation.
Top 5 Benefits of an internship:
CSU East Bay offers an opportunity to gain academic credit while you are fullfilling an internship opportunity by registering through either your major department or through Academic Affairs. The General Studies (GS) internship courses are numbered the same in every major (3898, 4898 undergraduate and 6898 graduate).
Step 1: Research your Major Department to see what academic internship course(s) they may have to offer.
Step 2: If your major does not offer an academic internship course, you may register beginning SPR 2018 for:
- GS 3898 Internships: 1 unit hybrid to focus on professional development & internship readiness (suggested sophomore year).
- GS 4898 Internships: 1 unit hybrid to focus on professional development & internship placement (suggested junior/ senior year).
Step 3: Students are responsible for finding their internship placement prior to registering for course. To locate potential internship opportunities visit S4, Pioneer Jobs, and or Student Opportunity Center.
Step 4: Students are responsible for informing internship site to register the internship opportunity through the S4 system. Note: The approval process may take up to 10 business days.
Step 5: Need advising regarding internship course and or placement? Contact an Internships Coordinator.
Minimum academic requirement to enroll in a internship course:
- You must be in good academic standing and not be on academic probation
- You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0
- The internship must be related to your major/option
- You must have an internship offer before you register for the course
Students enrolled in a internship course need to consider:
Would you like to learn some professional skills to better prepare you for an internship experience in a supportive hybrid online environment? You can also fulfill an internship experience while taking the class. Learn more about the 1 unit GS 4898 Internship course experience by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.