Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you wish to accept employment off-campus in the form of an internship, you should pursue Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is defined as employment which is an integral part of an established curriculum, including: “alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” Source: [8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(i)]. CPT is available only prior to the completion of your degree program and you must have a job offer at the time of application. CPT employment may not delay the completion of the academic program.



Please review the CPT Tutorial for information regarding CPT and the procedure to apply for CPT at CSUEB.

CPT Handout and Request Form

You are responsible to reading the CPT Handout and completing the request form. 

Fall 2022 CPT Eligibility Dates

Fall CPT Eligibility Dates
Fall 2022 CPT Dates Earliest Possible Start Date Latest Possible End Date

New and Continuing CPT

(Part-Time Only)

August 17, 2022

December 10, 2022


Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for CPT, you must:

  • Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year unless your academic program requires immediate participation for all students.
  • Be in lawful F-1 status
  • Have CSUEB approved health insurance
  • Have a job offer/internship offer related to your major
  • You must be still working towards the completion of the academic program indicated on your I-20. If you have completed all degree requirements (even if you have not filed for graduation), you are no longer eligible for CPT.
  • You must be a student in good academic standing. If you are on Academic Probation or Disqualification, you will NOT be authorized for CPT.
  • The employment must be considered an ‘integral part’ of your academic program.
  • You must enroll in either your academic department's Internship class if the department offers it or the General Studies (GS) Internship class for that semester before your I-20 can be issued. There are NO exceptions to this.
    • CPT I-20 approval is based on the internship course enrollment. Once you start your CPT employment, you cannot drop the internship course even if you would like to discontinue your CPT employment.
  • You must be enrolled full time or have approval for a Reduced Course Load before your I-20 can be issued. There are NO exceptions to this. 

NOTE: CPT is processed and authorized term by term. 

Part-Time vs. Full-Time CPT

Part-time CPT: Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time. While a full-time student, you will only be authorized for Part-Time CPT. This includes when you are on an approved reduced course load for any reason. Last Term is only eligible for part-time CPT.

Full-time CPT: Employment for more than 20 hours per week is full-time. You are only eligible for full-time CPT during the Summer term as it is considered your annual vacation. If Summer is your last time, you are only eligible for Part-Time CPT


Looking for an internship?

 Get Hired: Look here for internships, jobs, and professional development resources. 

CalStateS4 Videos