Top NavTop NavTop Nav

Grade Forgiveness

Grade Forgiveness is the process that matriculated students seeking a bachelor's degree follow, under limited circumstances, to remove the punitive effect of past academic failures. (A matriculated student is regularly enrolled after being admitted to the university.)

There are two ways to achieve Grade Forgiveness, Repetition of a Course and Forgiveness of Previous Term(s).

Repetition of Courses

You may repeat a course in which you have earned a grade of C-, D+, D, F, WU, NC, or IC for grade forgiveness two times, which means your earlier attempt(s) is ignored in GPA calculations, but not removed from your record, subject to the following conditions:

General Education course equivalencies:

Certain General Education courses are considered equivalent for the purposes of grade forgiveness. Therefore, students will receive credit for only one course in each of the following groups.

  • ART 1010, 1011;
  • BIOL 1000, 1001, 1005, 1007;
  • BIOL 1002, 1004, 2005; 
  • BIOL 2010, 2011; 
  • BIOL 2020, 2021;
  • CHEM 1000, 2001, 2002; 
  • CHEM 1601, 1605;
  • DANC 1201, 1202, 1203;
  • ECON 1000, 1888;
  • ENSC 2800, 2801, 2802;
  • ENVT 2000, 2001;
  • ES 1002, 2002;
  • GEOL 1001, 1003, 1005, 1006; 
  • GEOL 2101; 
  • GEOL 2300, 2301;
  • HIST 1014, 1017; 
  • HIST 1015, 2018; 
  • HIST 1016, 2019;
  • HSC 1100;
  • KIN 1625, 1626; 
  • KIN 2700, 1888;
  • LIBY 1210, 1551;
  • MUS 1000; 
  • MUS/ANTH 1004, 
  • MUS 1014; 
  • MUS 1006, 2130;
  • PHIL 1102, 1103, 1104; 
  • PHIL 1605, 2605; 
  • PHYS 1500, 1700;
  • PHYS 1600, 1800; 
  • PSYC 1000, 1001, 1005, 2004, 2009;
  • SOC 1000, 1001, 1002, 2001, 2002, 2255;
  • STAT 1000, 2008, 2010;
  • THEA 1010, 1011, 1016.      

You must file a "Petition for Grade Forgiveness" with the General Education Office, Room 1500, Student Services and Administration Building, if:

  1. the course prefix and/or number has changed, or the course is Independent Study.
  2. your first attempt was at another accredited post-secondary institution.

You pick up the petition in the department offering the course at Cal State East Bay. The chair of the department must certify that the courses are equivalent. (This means the course content is substantially identical. It does not mean merely that the courses meet the same requirement.) After the petition has been approved by the chair of the department offering the course, you must file it with the GE Director in the GE Office before the end of the Late Add period for that semester. The GE Director must then approve your petition. A denied petition is promptly mailed to you by the GE Office. An approved petition is sent to Planning, Enrollment Management, and Student Affairs. The previous attempt will be excluded from your GPA calculations after the end of the semester in which you repeat the course and may not be reflected in that semester's grade report.

Note: The CSU system normally forbids retroactive Grade Forgiveness. File your petition before reregistering for the course to give yourself time to adjust your program if your petition is denied.

Unit Limit on Grade Forgiveness.

Students are normally limited to 42 units, 24 of which will be forgiven and the additional 18 will be averaged.

  1. You can only receive grade forgiveness for 24 units of coursework.
  2. You may repeat an additional 18 units of coursework for grade averaging. The quality hours and quality points of the repeated courses will be averaged, while the units earned for these subsequent attempts will not be counted.
  3. After completing the 42 units of grade forgiveness and grade averaging, students who require additional units may petition through their advisor (AACE, [EOP or EXCEL if member of program], GE, major). If the petition is approved, the GE Office will also decide if the additional units will be given grade forgiveness or grade averaging.

Grade Forgiveness is not possible in the following circumstances (except with approved petition):

  1. You cannot repeat any one course for Grade Forgiveness, more than twice. (Some departments may restrict grade forgiveness to only one repeat.) If you do, the quality hours and quality points of all subsequent repeats will be averaged, while the units earned for these subsequent attempts will not be counted. These units will be counted as part of the 18-unit limit described in 2, above.
  2. You cannot renew a grade of "C" (2.0) or better. If you do repeat a class in which your original grade was a "C" or higher, the quality hours and quality points of all attempts will be used to calculate your grade point average, while only the units earned for the first attempt will be counted. These units will be counted as part of the 18-unit limit described in 2, above.
  3. Grade Forgiveness cannot be approved for any grade assigned as a result of academic dishonesty.
  4. If the original grade(s) was assigned at Cal State East Bay, Grade Forgiveness by repeating a course at another institution is normally not possible. (Exceptions can be made for disqualified students who file an approved petition prior to repeating the course elsewhere, but only to the extent necessary for their readmission.) Disqualified students repeating courses through Open University at CSUEB, only to the extent necessary for their readmission, do not need to file a petition.

Cal State East Bay honors the Grade Forgiveness policies of other institutions as stated on their transcripts.

You should not file a "Petition for Grade Forgiveness" if the original grade is still an "I." You cannot get Grade Forgiveness because the "I" does not affect your GPA. If the grade has been changed to an "IC," Grade Forgiveness is possible.

Forgiveness of Previous Term(s)

Under the most extenuating circumstances, you can petition to exclude from degree requirements and GPA computations up to two semesters of coursework taken at Cal State East Bay. To have your petition approved, you must meet certain conditions and follow the process described below.

Approval of your petition requires satisfaction of all the following conditions:

  • the coursework to be excluded does not represent your scholastic ability, and that this substandard performance was due to an extenuating circumstance;
  • you would be compelled to complete additional courses or enroll in additional semesters to achieve your baccalaureate degree if your petition is not approved;
  • five years have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be excluded was completed;
  • you completed at least 22 units at Cal State East Bay since the last term to be disregarded, with a 3.0 GPA, 45 units with a 2.5 GPA, or 67 units with a 2.0 GPA.

You must complete the following steps:

  • complete your portion of the "Petition for Forgiveness of Previous Term"
  • obtain your major advisor's approval on the petition
  • file the petition in the Student Information Lobby. If you are eligible, Planning, Enrollment Management, and Student Affairs certifies that you meet the above conditions, attaches a copy of your academic record, and forwards the package to the Grade Forgiveness committee in the Provost's Office. The committee acts upon all petitions by majority vote.

If Planning, Enrollment Management, and Student Affairs determines you do not meet the conditions, you are notified and no action is taken.

Cal State East Bay honors the exclusion policies of the originating institution. Each term excluded by another institution reduces by one the number of terms that Cal State East Bay will consider for exclusion.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.