New Transfer Student Guide

Welcome to the College of Science at Cal State University, East Bay! As a new transfer student, it can be challenging in a new educational environment. We encourage you to seek guidance from your major and faculty advisors as early as you can, especially in your major courses.

Starting Fall 23, all CSU, East Bay transfer students need to complete 3 courses in Upper Division GE; 3 Overlay areas; Ethnic Studies area and University Writing requirements. In some instances, some major courses may satisfy GE, Overlay and/or University Writing Requirement (UWR) areas.


New Transfer Class Requirements
One class from each of the
following GE areas:
One class from each of the following Overlays
University Writing Requirements
UD B: Science
(formerly GE B6; 3 units)
Diversity (Div)
UD C: Arts and Humanities
(formerly GE B6; 3 units)

Social Justice (SJ)

UD D: Social Science
(formerly GE D4; 3 units)

Sustainability (Sus)
Area F: Ethnic Studies (3 units)


University Writing Requirement

 To search for Breadth (GE)/Grad requirement classes when enrolling:

  • Go to MyCSUEB and select "Manage Classes” tile
  • Select Class Search and Enroll, then select appropriate term
  • Under Search For Classes, enter the keyword “GE” and click the arrow button
    IMPORTANT: You must apply the appropriate filter to refine your search. Scroll down to the Class Attribute filter. Select the corresponding requirement (ex. Breath Area(s)/GE UD B, C, or D, Diversity, Social Justice, Sustainability, etc )
  • Click on More to view the full list.

All students must also complete the following general Graduation Requirements

  • All students must also complete the following general Graduation Requirements:
  • American Institutions/Code - complete course(s) to cover US History (US1), US Government (US2), and CA state/local government (US3); all THREE areas must be satisfied.
  • 2nd English Composition - Engl 200, Art 229, Hist 200, ENGR 200, MUS 202, Phys 230, or an approved transfer course.