1098-T Frequently Asked Questions

IRS Form 1098-T, is entitled "Tuition Statement," and contains information to assist the IRS and you in determining if you are eligible to claim educational related tax credits such as the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

The Tax Relief Act of 1997 states that educational institutions, such as California State University, East Bay, are required to file informational returns with the IRS indicating a student's enrollment, and report either amounts billed, or payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses.

The 1098-T the student receives in the mail is the information that was sent to the IRS by California State University, East Bay. This form is an informational return for your personal records, and is not required to be submitted with your tax return.

There are several reasons why a 1098-T may not have been required to be generated or why you did not received the form:

  • If you are classified as a Non-Resident Alien, the University is not required to produce a 1098-T.
  • If you have not provide your Social Security Number.
  • If your 1098-T paper form was sent to an old or incorrect address, you can update your current mailing address and access an electronic 1098-T copy in your Student center, via the portal.

1098T forms are provided to students electronically no later than January 31st for the subsequent tax year. 

To get your 1098-T tax form:

1) Log in to your MYCSUEB:  https://www.csueastbay.edu/mycsueb/

2) Click on the "Student Finance" tile

3) From the left-hand side list of options click on "Account Services" dropdown

4) Click on "View 1098-T" then select the tax year you're looking for

If you require assistance please email:  1098T@csueastbay.edu  



The University is required by the IRS to fill in the payments received (Box 1).

  • Qualified tuition and related expenses are defined as tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. Student-activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified related expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.
  • Unqualified expenses include university housing, meal plans, health insurance, transportation, or other similar personal, living, or family expenses.

See IRS Publication 970 for specific examples of qualified and unqualified tuition and related expenses.

CSU, East Bay reports in Box 1, payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses. Effective 2018 Tax Year, we do not report Box 2, amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. 

Box 5 includes all scholarships, fellowships, and grants received, and any waiver or amount paid by a third-party sponsor.  Box 5 will reduce the amount of qualified expenses the student can use when calculating a deduction or credit.

Not necessarily. Determination of eligibility is the responsibility of the taxpayer. The University is required to file 1098-T with the IRS and to mail a copy to each student who was billed for qualified tuition and related expenses.

It’s important to note the school cannot provide individual income tax advice. If you have any 1098-T tax-related questions regarding the tax credit, eligibility, reporting your tax credit on your tax return, etc, please contact a tax professional or the IRS.

You or your parents may be eligible for the educational tax credits on your tax return. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 created two educational tax credits for students and families, the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

For a more detailed description you can read IRS Publication 970 which can be found on the IRS web site.

  • You can log onto your student center via the portal
  • Once in the Student Center, scroll down to the “Finance” section, click “Account Inquiry,” and then click the “payments” tab. You can then use the date filter to view the payments made on your student account.

The web links below provide more detailed information about the Hope Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

This information is not intended as legal or tax advice. Individuals should obtain IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Higher Education," or contact a tax practitioner about personal income tax situations.