Bilateral Exchange: United Kingdom

Middlesex University


  • London, United Kingdom

Period of Study

  • 1 academic year

Program Dates

  • September – May


  • Enrollment at Cal State East Bay for one quarter prior to departure
  • Cumulative G.P.A. of 2.7
  • Upper division standing (90 quarter units) by the time you study overseas
  • Completion of all required remedial courses prior to departure

Priority Application Deadlines

  • April 1st

Course Offerings

Exchange students may enroll in three regular university courses. Middlesex University offers a wide range of coursework including Business Studies, Theatre, Music, Art, Humanities and Social Sciences. Note that students that Dance, Drama, Music, Electronic Arts, Music and Performing Arts courses are open only to students in those majors. Music and Art students must submit a portfolio.

More course information available at the Center for International Education (SF 102) or on the Semester Abroad Course Directory.

About Middlesex University

Middlesex University is a large dynamic university based in north London. Although its academic heritage can be traced back to the late nineteenth century origins of its founding colleges, Middlesex is best known today for its innovative, forward thinking approach to education and learning. More than 23,000 students currently study at Middlesex' seven campuses including some 3,000 overseas students and 4,000 postgraduates.

Each of the five main campuses has a distinct identity and all have social and sports facilities available. Public transportation between the campuses generally takes between 20-50 minutes. It is strongly advised that students choose courses at no more than two campuses as travel costs in London are high and traveling can be time-consuming.

Academic focus of each campus:

  • Cat Hill: Art and Design, Film Studies
  • Enfield: Economics, Health Studies, Social Sciences
  • Hendon: Accounting and Finance, Business Studies, Law, Management, Marketing
  • Trent Park: Dance, Drama, Education, Information Technology, Music (portfolio is required)

About London

London is United Kingdom's capital with approximately 12 of the country's 50 million inhabitants. This metropolis boasts of an abundance of culture, museums, architecture, restaurants, theaters, galleries, and nightlife. Like all major cities, London is made of distinctive neighborhoods featuring hip, charming, prestigious, and historical varieties. Transportation around London is mainly via the world's oldest subway system, the London Underground (otherwise known as the Tube), combined with walking and buses.


Students may stay in one of the dorms (priority given to students studying at Middlesex for one academic year) administered by Middlesex University. No meal plans are included.

Students may also wish to stay off-campus in an apartment. Limited assistance is available from Middlesex' housing office.

Estimated Costs

As bilateral exchange students, you pay Cal State East Bay tuition in addition to round-trip airfare, room and board, and personal expenses. Cal State Easy Bay tuition will be paid before departure to London. Tuition at Middlesex University is waived.

You should budget about £3,500 and £4,000 per semester for living expenses in London. Below are estimates of costs for one semester to help you financially plan your trip. For the US dollar equivalence, go to XE and look under Currency Table or Currency Converter.

  • Accommodation £1,300-1,550
  • Books £75
  • Food £750
  • Misc. expenses, £800 including entertainment, clothes, gifts, etc.
  • Travel cards and passes in London £200
  • UK trips and travel abroad £400

Students are required to be covered by medical insurance that is valid in the United Kingdom and in any additional countries you plan to travel to. You should also plan funds for emergencies.

Financial Aid

Financial aid, except for work study, may be applied towards the CSUEB Bilateral Exchange Programs. Be sure to visit your Financial Aid Counselor before applying. It is the responsibility of the student to discuss with his/her Financial Aid Counselor the minimum number of units the student must complete during the study abroad program.


Please note that scholarship deadlines vary and may not be at the same time as the program application deadline.

The Gilman Scholarship (link opens in new window), administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE), offers a competition for awards for study abroad, for US citizen undergraduate students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a 2-year or 4-year college or university. Check website for deadlines and applications.