Scholarships & Funding
Students who are eligible for financial aid may apply their aid to Cal State East Bay-sponsored study abroad programs to offset these educational expenses. Applying for financial aid for studying abroad is the same as applying for aid as a regular student. You just file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid , also known as the FAFSA. By filing the FAFSA, you are applying for federal grants and student loans. We encourage you to apply early in the calendar year for assistance in the upcoming academic year.
Students who are considering using financial aid should speak with a financial aid counselor as part of their application process. (Students may email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment to discuss study abroad plans and financial aid eligibility.)
Additional resources from the Office of Financial Aid are below.
- CSU East Bay Office of Financial Aid - information for CSUEB Study Abroad applicants
- Pioneer Scholarships
- US Department of Education: Financial Aid for Students
- The Student Guide to Financial Aid
Study Abroad Scholarships
The number of study abroad scholarships has been steadily increasing over the past few years. However, not many students are aware that study abroad scholarships exist. Below is a list of scholarships and resources for both undergraduate and graduate study abroad. Many of the scholarship deadlines are four to eight months before departure and they may or may not coincide with the study abroad application deadline. Be sure to check the websites and that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
- BOREN Awards - Funding for study abroad in world regions critical to U.S. interests.
- Bridging Scholarship - for study in Japan
- Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China Scholarship Program
- CSU International Programs (IP) Scholarships
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) - for study in East or Southeast Asia
- Germany Student Scholarship Program
- Gilman Scholarship Program - U.S. Department of State program for Pell Grant eligible students to study abroad, providing them with skills critical to national security and economic prosperity
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarship
- ISEP Scholarships
- Killam Fellowships Fulbright Canada
Undergraduate Scholarships for Summer Programs
Scholarship Databases and Resources
The Center for International Education provides the following as a courtesy and does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the websites.