Scholarships & Funding
Students who are eligible for financial aid may apply their aid to Cal State East Bay-sponsored study abroad programs to offset these educational expenses. Applying for financial aid for studying abroad is the same as applying for aid as a regular student. You just file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid , also known as the FAFSA. By filing the FAFSA, you are applying for federal grants and student loans. We encourage you to apply early in the calendar year for assistance in the upcoming academic year.
Students who are considering using financial aid should speak with a financial aid counselor as part of their application process. Students should bring a copy of the brochure of the CSU East Bay approved study abroad program, which contains a list of estimated costs. To find out more information, contact (all links open in a new window):
- Office of Financial Aid (Student Services & Administration Building, 1st floor)
- Pioneer Scholarships
- US Department of Education: Financial Aid for Students
- The Student Guide to Financial Aid
- FAFSA on the Web
Study Abroad Scholarships
The number of study abroad scholarships has been steadily increasing over the past few years. However, not many students are aware that study abroad scholarships exist. Below is a list of scholarships and resources for both undergraduate and graduate study abroad. Many of the scholarship deadlines are four to eight months before departure and they may or may not coincide with the study abroad application deadline. Be sure to check the websites and that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
Undergraduate Scholarships (links open in new window)
Note: All undergraduate study abroad scholarships are currently only for Cal State East Bay-approved study abroad programs.
- Gilman Scholarship Program
- CSU International Programs (IP) Scholarships
- BOREN Awards
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA)
- Germany Student Scholarship Program
- Japan Bridging Scholarship
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Scholarship
- Killam Fellowships Fulbright Canada
- CLS Scholarship
- UK Fulbright Summer Insititutes
- CIEE Scholarships
- Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China Scholarship Program
Scholarship Databases and Resources
The Center for International Education provides the following as a courtesy and does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the websites. All links open in a new window.